Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installed ok but on boot powers-off during boot

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
AncientMariner

Installed ok but on boot powers-off during boot

#1 Post by AncientMariner »

This is an embedded Ivy-Bridge CPU with VGA and USB available and 4GB DRAM.
Debian 10 installs fine (tried installing to SATA SSD and USB Flash, no differences though USB slower ;)
By capturing on video I can see the OS starting up

... Lots of start up messages, no errors
[OK] Started Authorization Manager
[OK] Started Accounts Service
[OK] Listening on Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status
[OK] Starting network Manager Script Dispatcher Service
[OK] Started Gnome Display Manager
[108.931804] [652] : Failed to remount '/' read-only: Device or resource busy
[109.100214] reboot: Power down

And that's all folks.

Trying to boot a live DVD has a similar result, everything is booting but part way through I get messages that devices are being stopped.
The only error is in relation to an Exar serial device - couldn't register serial port error -28

Open to suggestions on how to debug this!
TIA

Loci.Cantos

Re: Installed ok but on boot powers-off during boot

#2 Post by Loci.Cantos »

"[108.931804] [652] : Failed to remount '/' read-only: Device or resource busy"

I don't know for sure but, it may be that your system is trying to mount the root filesystem '/' as read-only; but a -or some- process(es) may have/need a file open for writing on '/' (root fs). If this is the case, then the process(es) will not be able to write to '/' (root fs) and will fail.
I don't know if the boot process needs to write to root fs ('/') in your circumstance. Maybe someone else can help with advice more specific to this particular situation.

Also, it may be helpful to describe your hardware configuration with more detail, and note any unique circumstances with respect to your OS build(s); S.T. Coleridge would approve.