Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Debian 3.1 Sarge

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rangalo

Installing Debian 3.1 Sarge

#1 Post by rangalo »

Dear friends,

This is my first post to this forum.

I want to install Debian 3.1 Sarge, what I want is
basic OS + KDE + some developing libraries (SDL, opengl), perl, python

I have partitioned my slave drive like this

hdb1 - Windows XP FAT32
hdb2 - 2.0GB ext3 /root
hdb3 - 500MB swap (for 192 MB RAM)
hdb4 - 500 MB ext3 /home

Now, I have a few questions

1) is this space ok for what I want namely basic os, desktop(kde) and developer stuff as mentioned ?

2) The machine where I am going to install debian is not connected with thee internet so

How can I use cds to install different things ?

3) how many of the installation cds should I burn ?

thanks in advance,
Hardik

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

1. I think 2Gigs of space is a bit thin. I'd give at least 5Gigs for linux, because development libraries and sources can occupy lots of space. Theorically, you can install Linux to this 2G space, but I think it would be more commodious to use a bigger space.

2. If you install from the CDs, during the install, the installer will ask you if you want to sca a CD for packages. It will keep asking it until you choose "no". Scan all of the CDs you have, and you can use apt-get to install packages as usual. It will ask for the right CD.
You can make Debian scan a CD with the
apt-cdrom add
command.

3. If the computer is completely sealed off the internet, I'd burn all of the CDs (or DVDs, if you have a DVDR -- it's more convenient). If you going to do some programming, you may want to burn the source CDs, too -- if you'd ever need to find out how to do something which is already working in a program, you can see the source code instead of trying to get that thing to work. Believe me, it can really come in handy.
Of course, it occupies even more CDs...