Can't install any linux after format pc

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: Can't install any linux after format pc

Postby lyt » 2013-03-24 16:36

problem is not with boot, grub was installed properly many times.. Graphic is not the problem either... Now i know that the problem is because there is not a single distribution of linux that comes with i486 kernel or even an option to choose which kernel you want to install...
lyt
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-03-19 23:43

Re: Can't install any linux after format pc

Postby saulgoode » 2013-03-24 18:11

lyt wrote:My PC is: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor---

It should not matter whether you use an i386, i486, i686, or x86_64 kernel.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan
User avatar
saulgoode
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: 2007-10-22 11:34

Re: Can't install any linux after format pc

Postby kiyop » 2013-03-25 10:55

lyt wrote:problem is not with boot, grub was installed properly many times

Success in installing grub does not mean that problem is not with boot.
My former words "boot issue" involves wrong boot configuration.
lyt wrote:Graphic is not the problem either

How could you know that?

Oops... we should not argue with an idiot.
YOU should not argue with an idiot like me. ;)

Excuse my bothering. Good luck!
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/
User avatar
kiyop
 
Posts: 3984
Joined: 2011-05-05 15:16
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: Can't install any linux after format pc

Postby lyt » 2013-03-25 17:46

grub is installed in mrb, if i rewrite mbr for booting only windows and i re install boot loader the problem is not with boot. Configuration you say? How can i configurate something without console?
Graphics.. I can install linux in vm, and i had linux before, and i used old iso versions, graphics? Nah.
How can you say it's not the new kernel that comes in the whole distros? Theoretically my cpu support i686, but in practise doesnt look like that, and without 1 single distro including i486 kernel, how can i discard that possibility?
But ok you are the kid who like insult people so i hope you are happy now.
lyt
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-03-19 23:43

Re: Can't install any linux after format pc

Postby saulgoode » 2013-03-25 18:18

lyt wrote:grub is installed in mrb, if i rewrite mbr for booting only windows and i re install boot loader the problem is not with boot. Configuration you say? How can i configurate something without console?

It is unclear what precisely you are saying, however, the behavior you previously described to me suggests a problem with your GRUB installation.
lyt wrote:Graphics.. I can install linux in vm, and i had linux before, and i used old iso versions, graphics? Nah.

I tend to agree that if you are experiencing the same problem with different distributions then it is not particularly likely to be a graphics configuration problem. The possibility still remains (as does the possibility of a hardware problem).

lyt wrote:How can you say it's not the new kernel that comes in the whole distros? Theoretically my cpu support i686, but in practise doesnt look like that, and without 1 single distro including i486 kernel, how can i discard that possibility?

Code: Select all
saul@tesla:~$ uname -a
Linux tesla 3.2.29 #2 SMP Mon Sep 17 14:19:22 CDT 2012 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
I also have installed on this machine a 32-bit Slackware installation -- both with the stock i486 kernel and an i686 kernel that I compiled myself.

lyt wrote:But ok you are the kid who like insult people so i hope you are happy now.

I extended no insult. I would be happier if you described your problem in more exacting detail so that someone might be able to provide a solution, but I'm not going to be particularly miserable should you choose not to do so.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan
User avatar
saulgoode
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: 2007-10-22 11:34

Re: Can't install any linux after format pc

Postby kiyop » 2013-03-27 15:19

lyt wrote:grub is installed in mrb, if i rewrite mbr for booting only windows and i re install boot loader the problem is not with boot.

I cannot understand what you mean.

lyt wrote:Configuration you say? How can i configurate something without console?

Debian installer might have configured wrongly. You might not have configured wrongly. You might have configured wrongly. I am not sure.

You can skip wrong configuration and manually try to boot the installed debian. In grub (2) menu, press c key to enter into grub command line. If grub (2) menu is not displayed, press SHIFT key while booting.
At grub command line, you can manually try different boot configurations.
If you succeeded in booting debian once, you can install grub onto the mbr of /dev/sda by
Code: Select all
grub-install /dev/sda

with root privilege. There are many different ways to configure grub (2).
You can also chroot into the installed debian and run the above command if you can boot another (such as live version) debian with similar kernel as the installed one.

lyt wrote:Graphics.. I can install linux in vm, and i had linux before, and i used old iso versions, graphics? Nah.

I cannot understand why you can conclude that the problem is not related to graphical issue only because of the above mentioned things.

lyt wrote:How can you say it's not the new kernel that comes in the whole distros?

I cannot say. I am not sure if the reason is the new kernel or not.
I just give you some hints (which may be wrong).
If my guess is bad, you should neglect me. In another words, "Never argue with an idiot like me."

lyt wrote:Theoretically my cpu support i686, but in practise doesnt look like that, and without 1 single distro including i486 kernel, how can i discard that possibility?

You cannot discard. I know.
I cannot conclude that your problem is not related to graphical issue nor boot issue.
If my guess is bad, you should neglect me. In another words, "Never argue with an idiot like me."

lyt wrote:But ok you are the kid who like insult people so i hope you are happy now.

I do not want to insult people who thinks logically. I only insult people who cannot think logically and who insists non-sense things.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/
User avatar
kiyop
 
Posts: 3984
Joined: 2011-05-05 15:16
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: Can't install any linux after format pc

Postby rudra » 2013-04-16 15:48

I hope separate, other than the windows, partitions were created on which to install debian.
rudra
 
Posts: 324
Joined: 2006-06-01 15:43
Location: Kolkata, India

Previous

Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable