Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Instal from hard disk

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Sande

Instal from hard disk

#1 Post by Sande »

Hi Im new to Linux and would like to try Debian sarge.
I have Win xp pro sp 2 and would like to instal debian sarge from hard disk.
I have downloaded the cd iso images onto my hard drive, But i dont have a functional cd burner or a floppy drive, so could anyone tell me how to instal from a hard disk.
Please be comprehensive as i dont know anything abt Linux.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Although I'm not really familiar with the new installer (I installed my system years ago, and used dist-upgrades since), but I doubt you can install from hard disk, since you have to boot your kernel in a way... There are floppy images on the install CD you can use to boot your system and install Debian.

sensovision

#3 Post by sensovision »

as lacek has said there is a way to install from floppies, and if you'd like you could try t boot from USB stick, here is site dedicated to this issue http://d-i.pascal.at/
maybe you can use tips there to install from HardDrive as well.

BTW I also didn't reinstall my system for almost year(it's time I moved to Linux from W2K) so don't familliar with installers a lot.
Denis

Sande

#4 Post by Sande »

well i meant if there would be a way to instal from hard drive as i saw one such for red hat distro but could nt get it to work with debian.
Also i dont have a usb memory stick or floppy drives so no go with the site mentioned.
Any other info would be welcome.

trave11er

#5 Post by trave11er »

Sarge installation manual contains a section on booting the installer from hard disk, so it should be possible.

dawgie

#6 Post by dawgie »

You should check the Debian info on building a local package repository:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repos ... #id2781524

After you do a boot and minimium install from the HD.
You can create your own package repository on your harddrive.
To create a repository, you need to install the dpkg-dev package.
Use the dpkg-dev to create a package list at the top level directory of your package repository with:

dpkg-scanpackages binary /dev/null | gzip -9c > binary/Packages.gz

Then create a text file with the name "release"
Something like this:

Code: Select all

Archive: stable
Component: main
Origin: local
Label: Sarge
Architecture: i386 
Then, add the source to your /etc/apt/source.list

deb file:///mydirectory/

and
apt-get update
To make your system aware of your package source.

-Bob

pigah

#7 Post by pigah »

Do you have a friend who has a burner or a usb stick? I agree with lacek that the options for a hard drive install are slim unless you are a guru. You can buy debian for not that much, too.

Sande

#8 Post by Sande »

Thanks for ur replies guys
dawgie i have alreay checked that tutorial but thats for systems which have linux installed.
I can get those cd s burned but right now none of my friends(with cd burners) are available and also i would have to remove my hard disk.:D
and buying them is out of question because I live in India and by the time i get those cds i might actually have to wait for a couple of weeks.

I m good at windows but linux im a bummer but like to learn things. My friend said he saw some article in Ubuntu forums for a related article but i couldnt get any info there. Any more info would be helpful.