PPA system(PPA Launchpad)on Debian 7.1?

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

PPA system(PPA Launchpad)on Debian 7.1?

Postby Meganame » 2013-07-04 17:04

Hello everybody I was wondering if there is any way to get PPA system from Ubuntu to work on Debian. I am guessing I would have to add something to my Sources.list but am unsure what. I have found this backport might work but i do not see how
deb http://people.debian.org/~showard/debian/ openmw-wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~showard/debian/ openmw-wheezy main contrib non-free

That other is for Debian Squeezy. By the way I am trying to get the new HY-D-V1 desktop a try but it is only available from PPA Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 13.04 so I have to get backports for it.

Also I have been around this forum alittle and even hinting at the word Ubuntu seems to make all kind of Troll posts and fanboyism from I am guessing people getting butthurt when anything Ubuntu is motioned . I know this is the Debian fourms but some of the behavior I saw on those threads was childish and very sad. I was horrified to note that the moderator was doing nothing! There was a thread going nowhere other than people bashing Ubuntu over and over and over. We get it you made your points you don't like Ubuntu move on(Really a user of Ubuntu is an Ubutard are you serious!?) I am not trying to defend it what they have been doing has been alittle off but after a while enough is enough. I am just waiting for the post"Go back to Ubuntu" or "Your the one trolling" or something similar I am sure it will happen :wink:

Hopefully the community has got more mature since those post were a year ago.

It seems you guys have a different option of what a troll is to me....
Meganame

Re: PPA system(PPA Launchpad)on Debian 7.1?

Postby craig_sillva » 2013-07-04 17:26

Getting it to "work" is of course possible, but work has many different meanings some of which you may not be happy with.

The ppa is just an URL. Use Google to locate the actual address of the repo and use that as an http source in your sources.list

You'll need to choose a version of Ubuntu and there really is no wrong choice at this point though some will be more obviously bad for your system.

You ought to look into pinning but since you haven't shown any regard for the advice you've seen saying this isn't a good idea why start now.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2
Debian 7.0 on Lenovo Thinkpad SL410
craig_sillva

Postby vbrummond » 2013-07-04 17:29

Meganame wrote:Hello everybody I was wondering if there is any way to get PPA system from Ubuntu to work on Debian.

What to you mean "PPA System"? Are you trying to add a PPA repository to your debian system? Just go to the page for the PPA and click Technical details about this PPA. Whatever breakage follows is up to you.

Also I have been around this forum alittle and even hinting at the word Ubuntu seems to make all kind of Troll posts and fanboyism from I am guessing people getting butthurt when anything Ubuntu is motioned .

What does butthurt even mean? Please note you (and I) are now contributing to the trolling and fanboyism on this forum.

I know this is the Debian fourms but some of the behavior I saw on those threads was childish and very sad.

I think this unrelated bashing is childish and sad, and it seems very offtopic. Which will easily derail the thread. When it does, I will lock it.

I was horrified to note that the moderator was doing nothing!

Click the handy report post button and I (or our other staff) will review the post. We will decide if action is to be taken.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby AnInkedSoul » 2013-07-04 17:43

I am guessing I would have to add something to my Sources.list

You add repo entries to your sources.list and then use a package manager to install whatever those repos have. PPAs are for ubuntu, not debian, and effectively break your system. But if you want to use a ppa you will have to pick a ubuntu version at the ppa and then use that entry in your sources.list file.

That other is for Debian Squeezy.

No such thing.

By the way I am trying to get the new HY-D-V1 desktop a try but it is only available from PPA Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 13.04 so I have to get backports for it.

cool

Also I have been around this forum alittle and even hinting at the word Ubuntu seems to make all kind of Troll posts and fanboyism

right because expressing a positive thought about ubuntu is perfectly fine but expressing a negative thought about ubuntu is trolling and fanboyism....

I know this is the Debian fourms but some of the behavior I saw on those threads was childish and very sad.

Actually this is the debian USER forums and as such we have all types of users.

There was a thread going nowhere other than people bashing Ubuntu over and over and over.

Which thread? I suspect that what you call bashing we call fairly criticising.

We get it you made your points you don't like Ubuntu move on

Why should I move on? If I was saying good things about ubuntu would I also be asked to move on?

(Really a user of Ubuntu is an Ubutard are you serious!?)

or a butnut...although I am thinking up some new ones too...ignoruntu....maybe...

I am not trying to defend it what they have been doing has been alittle off but after a while enough is enough.

Why not? If you want to defend then defend. I will take the other side as I don't think anything they have done in years (possibly ever) was positive.

I am just waiting for the post"Go back to Ubuntu" or "Your the one trolling" or something similar I am sure it will happen :wink:

Okay, go back to butnut since you are the one trolling.

Hopefully the community has got more mature since those post were a year ago.

The community is a group of individuals, we do not mature collectively, some of us probably have, some already are, some are not and never will be...

It seems you guys have a different option of what a troll is to me....

someone that posts something when their goal is not to debate, discuss, or even argue but rather just provoke
AnInkedSoul

Postby dasein » 2013-07-04 19:37

I think I'm feeling particularly cranky today...

1) You've started a handful of threads in your month on the board. From my reading, the responses have generally been quite helpful, even if they weren't what you wanted to hear. The only gratuitous snark I've seen has come from you.

2) You do not seem to grasp the straightforward notion that Linux distros are not 100% binary compatible. Trying to mix Debian with something-that's-based-on-something-that's-based-on Debian will fail, if not immediately, then eventually. And since this is a Debian forum, you're not going to find folks willing to help you recover from that failure.

3) Polluting your Debian system with an Ubuntu PPA is at best risky. It may work, or it may bork your system. If you're really all that enamored of some whiz-bang blingy-thingy new UI of indeterminate quality, then the smart move would be to install the distro (Hybryde Fusion) in a VM and test it there. Or install Ubuntu in a VM, and install the blingy-thingy on top of it.

4) Pre-emptive whining is still whining.
dasein

Postby Meganame » 2013-07-04 21:28

right because expressing a positive thought about Ubuntu is perfectly fine but expressing a negative thought about Ubuntu is trolling and fanboyism.

That not what I am saying. I do not mind Criticism be it negative or positive. How can you make something better if you do not know whats wrong with it? You can say it sucks its horrible and its a piece of OS shit but unless you backup why you think that and actually consider other peoples opinion other than your own then I consider that fanboytism

Actually this is the Debian USER forums and as such we have all types of users. 

Yeah your right but I was just surprised at what I read and the maturity level of this “USER” forum compared to other I have seen
Which thread? I suspect that what you call bashing we call fairly criticising. 

Its not bashing when you do not back up your opinion. You say hey debian suck and just leave without explaing why....

Why should I move on? If I was saying good things about Ubuntu would I also be asked to move on?

Because the person is not contributing to the topic in anyway. You are simply saying synonyms of what everybody else has says. You not making any other points that have not been said yet.

Okay, go back to butnut since you are the one trolling.

Okie dookie I respect your opinion on that. mind exampling how I am being a troll. I would like to know so I do not do it again.

someone that posts something when their goal is not to debate, discuss, or even argue but rather just provoke

alright thats my opinion on it,too. But calling me a troll could have provoked me. And calling those thread responses childish and very sad must have provoked you so in a way we are all trolls

I was just upset on this manner of behavior and that a think a moderator was even getting into some of it. Hopefully I can find those threads and report them.

I am not trying to be a @$$hole in any way and if you think I am being one I am sorry to have given that impersonation.

Thanks! you guys have made some good arguments and points so far.
Meganame

Postby Meganame » 2013-07-04 21:28

dasein wrote:1) You've started a handful of threads in your month on the board. From my reading, the responses have generally been quite helpful, even if they weren't what you wanted to hear. The only gratuitous snark I've seen has come from you.
Yes my thread answers have been useful and helped but it is not me experience I am posting,complaining or whining about it is some of the others I have seen.As for my gratuitous snark that's probably me just being me.

Thank you for your post though i appreciate it.

Once again I am not trying to be Jerk or anything like that.
Last edited by Meganame on 2013-07-04 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Meganame

Postby Meganame » 2013-07-04 21:29

What to you mean "PPA System"? Are you trying to add a PPA repository to your debian system? Just go to the page for the PPA and clickTechnical details about this PPA. Whatever breakage follows is up to you.

Awesome and thanks! I do not know if that is suppose to be a link or what. I will use with caution.

What does butthurt even mean? Please note you (and I) are now contributing to the trolling and fanboyism on this forum.

Please use google to define words you do not understand. Its more of a internet slang if anything. After all you do have the words largest source of information at your fingertip! How are we trolling offtopic and but how are we trolling?

I think this unrelated bashing is childish and sad, and it seems very offtopic. Which will easily derail the thread. When it does, I will lock it

How am I bashing I explained in a simple sentence why I think that. And yes if this does go the wrong way lock it without hesitation. I am criticizing( and i am kind of whining lol) not bashing.
Meganame

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2013-07-04 22:21

The question has been answered.
There is nothing left to add except OT dribble.
Locked.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Return to Installation