Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How many CD-ROM's MUST I download?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
americanrockradio

How many CD-ROM's MUST I download?

#1 Post by americanrockradio »

Hi. I want to try Debian, but I don't think I have the patience to download 14 ISO images. How many do I TRULY need? All I want is a basic Debian install with Gnome, Open Office, and I plan to apt-get anything else I need.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

If you download the netinst iso you only need one; after you install the base system, it will then download only the needed packages.

dawgie

Re: How many CD-ROM's MUST I download?

#3 Post by dawgie »

americanrockradio wrote:Hi. I want to try Debian, but I don't think I have the patience to download 14 ISO images. How many do I TRULY need? All I want is a basic Debian install with Gnome, Open Office, and I plan to apt-get anything else I need.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
The Debian CDs are built according to the "Debian Popularity Contest".
The more popular packages are on the 1st CDs, the less popular etc.
Get the ist 3 CDs.
Some of the newer packages such as gnomebaker will be on the CD 12, 13 & 14.

If you use jigdo, and you have some CDs from an older Sarge snapshot, then you only need to download the changes. Jigdo will build the iso images.

-Bob

manny

#4 Post by manny »

I only downloaded the first iso, that was enough to reboot into kde or gnome if you choose a deskop install. I come from fedora and ubuntu and i thought you needed 14 cds too :wink:
I've used apt and synaptic to get all else i want. imo downloading the first iso was right for me since it was a fast install (20 min) insted of the netinst iso. Sarge is great, i don't think i'm ever going back to any other distro.

cocas

#5 Post by cocas »

You only have to install Debian Net Instal, i think you only have to download 106Mb

Keep going mate...

americanrockradio

Looking forward to Debian

#6 Post by americanrockradio »

Thank you all very much for the input. The install begins tomorrow -)