Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Netinst Doesn't Detect Wireless PC Card

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jimbo-62

Netinst Doesn't Detect Wireless PC Card

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

I would like to install Sarge on my Sony laptop, which has a Netgear WG511 wireless PC card, and built in Fast Ethernet and Firewire ports. The Netgear card is what I use to connect to the Internet.

I booted Knoppix to check the Netgear card and everything works just fine. I was able to connect to the Internet with no configuration.

But, when I boot the Sarge netinst CD and go through the installation, the Netgear card is not recognized. I am given the choice of using the Fast Ethernet (eth0) or the Firewire (eth1).

Any advice will be appreciated, jimbo

tim

#2 Post by tim »

Are you sure eth1 is your firewire port and not your wireless card?
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

pigah

#3 Post by pigah »

I think that card requires ndiswrapper, which is a wrapper that allows the use of windows drivers (I don't think there are linux drivers for it). I don't know how to do a netinstall with it: you may just want to google for it.

jimbo-62

#4 Post by jimbo-62 »

The PC card never powers up, no led lights come on. Eth0 shows up with no MAC address, and unknown type. I am not sure about the Firewire label now.

But, when I boot Knoppix 3.8.1, everything works perfectly. So, the question is:

How do I query Knoppix to find out what driver is being used? There must be a configuration file or info file somewhere that I could look at to determine how Knoppix is using the PC card.

Thanks, jimbo

tim

#5 Post by tim »

Hi Jimbo,

Check out this link. It describes how someone else got their netgear card to work with debian.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2 ... 00119.html
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

jimbo-62

#6 Post by jimbo-62 »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. That reference is a partial solution. There is more to it than that, but it is a good start. I got some advice from another forum. I got some advice from the Debian Reference Manual. And finally I was able to get my Netgear WG511 wireless PC card working. Getting it working from a terminal window command line was fairly easy. Getting it to work automatically during boot was more difficult.

Anyone who wants more detail, just let me know.

Thanks, jimbo