Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where is my Kernel?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
lokirulez

Where is my Kernel?

#1 Post by lokirulez »

I am new to linux! I just installed Debian Sarge 3.1. I would like to upgrade to Kernel version 2.6. All the tutorials I have read say that my kernel source is in /usr/src. But that directory is empty. Pleas help.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

You have to actoally download the kernel in order to compile it; I suppose all of the HOWTOs are presuming you done it already.
You can download a kernel from kernel.org. After downloaded, unpack it to /usr/src.

But anyway, there ARE precompiled 2.6 kernels in Debian, you should try to install these first...

lokirulez

#3 Post by lokirulez »

How would I go about accessing a precompiled 2.6 Kernel in Debian?

drdebian

#4 Post by drdebian »

lokirulez wrote:How would I go about accessing a precompiled 2.6 Kernel in Debian?

Code: Select all

apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-386
to install the most current 2.6 kernel image. Replace "386" with "686" or "k7" if you want an optimized kernel for that architecture.