Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debootstrap error

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
simankov

Re: Debootstrap error

#16 Post by simankov »

Thank you!

iamianthomas

#17 Post by iamianthomas »

Byakko wrote:Thank you very much for this answer, it helped me go through the installation !

I think the USB connection was dropped for some reason during the very very long cleaning process (LVM encrypted).

Thank you too. Man this is amazing. I always have trouble with this.

DrJosh9000

#18 Post by DrJosh9000 »

Illuminated wrote: mount /dev/sdc1 /cdrom
then alt-f1 to get back to the install
Thanks so much!
This just happened to me with a USB stick I prepared using good old dd, so I think there is a bug in there.
Also +1 to it happening at some point during writing noise to the disk.

mohsh86

#19 Post by mohsh86 »

Debian 9 got the same thing, tried both Etcher and Win32Disk Imager as well as unetbootin

biochemistrygmcs

#20 Post by biochemistrygmcs »

I got this error when installed from live CD with no internet.
my USB drive as mounted on /cdrom, dispite this I had the problem.
When connected with INTERNET, Installation proceeded. (But faced no root login, no display manager etc.)

ellingtonb

#21 Post by ellingtonb »

Illuminated wrote:I ran into this same problem. I used unetbootin to create the image on a USB thumb drive.

unetbootin was not the problem. The problem was related to the media not being mounted under /cdrom

I had to manually mount the usb to /cdrom and when I retried the install, I was able to get past the "bootstrap error".

I did this by hitting alt-f2 and then
mount /dev/sdc1 /cdrom

The device for the usb drive may vary. For me it was /dev/sdc1.

I have no idea why the installer isn't smart enough to know to either mount the install media in /cdrom itself of look for it in /target/media/cdrom where it already had it mounted.
Thanks for the help that was necessary to solve my problem.

vernn

#22 Post by vernn »

I just encountered this error when attempting to install Debian 9.4.0. Manually mounting to the /cdrom folder resolved the issue. During installation, I temporarily removed the USB stick to put a few additional non-free firmware .deb packages on it.

lcvette

#23 Post by lcvette »

Illuminated wrote:I ran into this same problem. I used unetbootin to create the image on a USB thumb drive.

unetbootin was not the problem. The problem was related to the media not being mounted under /cdrom

I had to manually mount the usb to /cdrom and when I retried the install, I was able to get past the "bootstrap error".

I did this by hitting alt-f2 and then
mount /dev/sdc1 /cdrom

The device for the usb drive may vary. For me it was /dev/sdc1.

I have no idea why the installer isn't smart enough to know to either mount the install media in /cdrom itself of look for it in /target/media/cdrom where it already had it mounted.
Hi,

I am a noob to Linux and am loading it for my first time ever and have run into this issue and am not quite clear on this solution exactly.

I have gotten to the Alt/F2 screen, and I typed in:

mount /dev/kingston datatraveler 2.0 /cdrom

which returned something like:

Binary node [option]s

I then hit alt/F1 but I am still getting the same bootstrap error.. am i doing something wrong?

any guidance is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I am remaking another USB flash drive and have linked an image to the setting im using below for reference, i have changed the name to make any referencing easier in the future and incase that has anything to do with the solution not working?

Thanks again!

akoval

#24 Post by akoval »

Hello, guys.
Please, do not forget to choose also boot/ area when u make disk partitions.
While in VirtualBox u don't care, on real hardware u have to. Try.

KitchM

#25 Post by KitchM »

In my case, installing Buster on an Intel Dell notebook, the issue came up when installing from flash drive and the process asked for a network driver. I had copied what it wanted onto another flash drive and swapped it out to allow it to find the files. It could not, so I select "No" after putting in the original flash drive. That got me the error further down the line.

The next time I ignored the request for the files because it didn't seem to make any difference anyway. (It got on the Internet just fine.) This time there was no disruption in the process and the error did not show up.

This is obviously a mistake in the installer's programming.