Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

changing installer kernel

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tasl

changing installer kernel

#1 Post by tasl »

I would like to install the latest stable Debian 3.1 with 2.6 kernel on two SATA drivers (using software RAID1+LVM).
However, my SATA controller is an ATI IXP300, and its PCI ID is missing from sata_sil driver until kernel 2.6.11, so the installer cannot detect the controller.

My question is, how can I use a newer kernel from the test distribution with the installer (and in the resulting installation, of course), but still use versions from the stable distribution with all other software?

Or, could I get or make a working sata_sil module somehow and use it with the installer?

I have read of the option of installing from a live Knoppix CD or existing Linux installation, but that seems like a lot of work, and I like the easy RAID+LVM dialogs in the graphical installer. I'm hoping there is a way to avoid using this option.

jobezone

Re: changing installer kernel

#2 Post by jobezone »

My question is, how can I use a newer kernel from the test distribution with the installer (and in the resulting installation, of course), but still use versions from the stable distribution with all other software?
[/quote]
You can try it. The new versions of Debian Installer, which may use the kernel version you need, are placed for testing at it's homepage, at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/[/url]