Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DVD iso installation - (Missing basics)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
unique_suresh

DVD iso installation - (Missing basics)

#1 Post by unique_suresh »

Hello All,

I downloaded 5 DVD iso files ( 1, 2, 3 & updates ) and I want to install them using USB and dont want to waste DVD's. So far I haven't find any tool that can copy all iso files into single usb drive. For example I have 32GB USB drive and I want copy all five dvd iso files ( Vanilla + 2 update ) as bootable installation USB drive then I can use that USB to install it on local drive. Just like other distro's provide. Any help would appreciated.

NOTE : Yes I can install first ISO to local drive and then use other iso to update package. OR I can use netinstall to load base files then use internet to download them. Since I already downloaded locally as ISO files I want to know is there anyway i can utilize them.

Tried options :
The following tools and commands overrides previous iso file data
- dd, cp & cat
- unetbootin, uiversal usb installer and so on

Questions :
------------

1) Is there way to copy all DVD's+update iso files ( Five of them 3 DVD iso & two update iso ) to single USB drive and also its bootable for installation ? In this way i can install all the packages to local disk in one shot.

2) If the above approach is not possible, is there any other way I can install all the DVD iso ? Like first load net install or other type of installation using separate pen drive then use DVD iso to perform all packages push to the local drive ?

NOTE : Planning to use RAID1 approach hope suggestion would not limit using RAID capability in any way.

Anybody ??? Anybody ???

Please suggest.

Thanks
Suresh.
Thanks
Suresh.

keithpeter

Re: DVD iso installation - (Missing basics)

#2 Post by keithpeter »

I would suggest installing from DVD1 and then using the other DVDs to install packages from as you need them.

I have installed a fairly full desktop client that way. Synaptic simply tells you which DVD you need at each stage of an installation.

I'm no expert and would be interested to see what others come up with.

unique_suresh

#3 Post by unique_suresh »

Thanks keithpeter. Yes I can install first DVD then using Apt manager I can install remaining packages. But it would be easier if you have 32GB USB drive and you can put everything together and first install in one shot :)

So far I haven't heard or find the way to push all iso files in one shot. I am waiting for if any one has great idea. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Thanks
Suresh.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

I have a great idea. Don't try to install everything from all the DVDs, it will end badly. Install the first one and then just the packages you need.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

unique_suresh

Re: DVD iso installation - (Missing basics) HELP !!!

#5 Post by unique_suresh »

OK. I gave up to install entire pkgs in one shot. Since I havent heard from anybody .....

Finally I decided to use step by step process.
Installed Debian from net install. Now how to install packages from DVD iso file.

Any help would be appreciated !!!

thanks
Suresh
Thanks
Suresh.

keithpeter

#6 Post by keithpeter »

Hello

From where you are now, the easiest thing to do is to use the online repository that you must have enabled when installing from the netinstall image. You now have access to the whole Debian repository including the most up to date packages. Just apt-get what you need or use Synaptic to search for packages by function if you installed a desktop environment.

If you want to use those ISOs, then the easiest thing to do is going to be to burn them to actual DVDs. You can 'register' each of the DVDs with Synaptic and then install software from them as needed. You also need to use Synaptic to 'switch off' the online repositories that were enabled when you installed using netinstall.

There may be an issue about the base system being more up to date than the one on the DVD-1 image, e.g. the Kernel. Not sure about that as I've never bothered to download the whole set of DVDs - on my connection at home that would take something like three or four days!

GNU/Linux is different to Windows, Debian has huge stores of applications as well as the base Operating System. You don't need to (and indeed can't) install everything on all those DVDs!

keithpeter

#7 Post by keithpeter »

Hello unique_suresh and all

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4694/how ... 620#333620

The link above shows a way of mounting the Debian ISOs of DVD1 to whatever as loop devices, then adding their mount points to /etc/apt/sources.list so that apt and synaptic can find the packages and distibution lists.

Basically, I've reinstalled Wheezy from DVD1 (as it happens without Internet, I just chose 'configure network later' in the installer after it failed to initialise network and then I answered 'no' when asked to choose an online repository).

Then I copied the Debian DVD1, DVD2, DVD3 ISO files to a directory on my home drive at ~/ISOs

I mounted each of these images as loop devices using these commands (su first or sudo if you do that)

Code: Select all

$su
#mkdir /media/dvd1-mnt /media/dvd2-mnt /media/dvd3-mnt
# mount /home/keith/ISOs/debian-7.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso /media/dvd1-mnt -o loop
# mount /home/keith/ISOs/debian-7.4.0-amd64-DVD-2.iso /media/dvd2-mnt -o loop
# mount /home/keith/ISOs/debian-7.4.0-amd64-DVD-3.iso /media/dvd3-mnt -o loop
Then I added them to /etc/fstab so they automount at each reboot. Below is what my fstab looks like

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=big-long-hex-id-string /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=another-big-long-string none            swap    sw              0       0
#/dev/sdb1       /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
#/dev/sdb2       /media/usb1     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
#adding mount points for local copies of the ISOs
/home/keith/ISOs/debian-7.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso /media/dvd1-mnt iso9660 loop,ro 0        0
/home/keith/ISOs/debian-7.4.0-amd64-DVD-2.iso /media/dvd2-mnt iso9660 loop,ro 0        0
/home/keith/ISOs/debian-7.4.0-amd64-DVD-3.iso /media/dvd3-mnt iso9660 loop,ro 0        0
Finally, I added the mount points of the mounted isos to /etc/apt/sources.list. Below is the active part of my sources.list

deb file:/media/dvd1-mnt/ wheezy main contrib
deb file:/media/dvd2-mnt/ wheezy main contrib
deb file:/media/dvd3-mnt/ wheezy main contrib
Reboot, and then

$ su
# apt-get update
# apt-get install hugin r-base gnuplot lyx
Say yes to accepting packages without verification and watch roughly 1Gb of packages install in about one minute. And you can do that anywhere because at no point have I used an Internet connection on this machine except to post this!

Downside: you won't get security updates &c using this local install from the ISOs. I'll try adding the update ISO from Wheezy 7.4 to Wheezy 7.5 into the scheme when it is released. My plan is to use this trick to install/update a PC in a location with very slow and unreliable Internet.

unique_suresh

#8 Post by unique_suresh »

Thanks keithpeter. This will help.

Even though my actual post was to put everything in single USB stick and install them in one shot.

Sometimes nothing is better than something :D :D :D

Thanks.
Thanks
Suresh.

keithpeter

#9 Post by keithpeter »

unique_suresh wrote:Even though my actual post was to put everything in single USB stick and install them in one shot.
As sunrat said above, you really can't install everything in 20+Gb of packages. They'll conflict. And you will end up with huge numbers of processes running most of which would be useless.

What is your actual aim? Is this a desktop/laptop with a GUI or some kind of server?

You could use the USB stick to store the ISO files instead of the hard drive, just a bit inconvenient having an fstab entry for it.

Cheers & good luck

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

There was a similar thread a while back. In that thread, as in this one, cognizant responders said the same thing, that installing "everything" is (a) impossible and (b) pointless. Sadly, the OP from the other thread insisted on trying to do it anyway. The result? Literally weeks of wasted effort, culminating in a system borked beyond repair (which is not at all surprising, not even a little bit).

From the "learn from others' mistakes" department: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=90277 and http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=90986

If this OP is determined to make the same mistake, there's no preventing it. But there is no point in wasting breath, either.

baapji

#11 Post by baapji »

thanks dude