Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

install deb on encrypted lvm w/ other os already installed?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
gaiko

install deb on encrypted lvm w/ other os already installed?

#1 Post by gaiko »

The full subject I wanted to put was: Install deb on encrypted lvm w/ other os already installed using the manual option in setup?

I am trying to install debian on a encrypted LVM setup a system that already has another OS on it… and am floundering a bit.
I’ve read quite a few tutorials (linuxbsdos has some easy ones) but none of them were quite what I was needing. I’ve tried the manual route, and setup a functional system on top of an lvm/vg ( the root, home, and swap inside the LVM, the boot outside) but forgot the encryption part, tried to startover and can’t seem to get it done so that I end up with a encrypted VG.
I was thinking I could just encrypt the VG since the root,home,swap are inside it and be done with it (and not have to give a password for each one) but at the end I keep getting a “critical error” about swap not being encrypted and that installation can’t continue (I even tried encrypting swap, root, home inside the lvm for sh*ts and giggles and still got the error) which I didn’t think would be an issue since the swap was supposed to be inside the vg therefore inaccessible therefore it not being encrypted is moot because the vg is supposed to be encrypted… When I install and only encrypt the VG (sda5) choose not to erase then it *seems* to install fine, except when I boot up no login/pwd prompt except once I get into x11 (which I am assuming is actually x11 and not luks). When I compared screens on http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/01/01/ho ... -system/2/ and mine the only different I could see was on
> #5 logical 160.8GB k crypto (sda5_Crypt)
Asides from the partition size was that mine said (not active) instead of (sda5_Crypt) but I can’t figure out why and I tried fiddling around with the options but wasn’t able to change anything.
So, obviously some part of my reasoning is flawed so any help pointing out what I am doing wrong would really be appreciated!

gaiko

Re: install deb on encrypted lvm w/ other os already install

#2 Post by gaiko »

Thoughts? Anyone?

dotlj

#3 Post by dotlj »

I haven't tried that, but it might be worth looking at.
I'm guessing that you have a small unencrypted partition for /boot and the rest is encrypted, then use LVM for swap, / and any other mount points.
First step would be to install cryptsetup and lvm2, then unencrypt the encrypted partition and use lvm to show the lvg and lv's.
Then you can choose what to do with each partition.

As a last resort, you could copy your /home to your backup device, delete the whole encrypted lvm, create a new partion, encrypt it, use lvm to create your new / and swap and /home.

gaiko

#4 Post by gaiko »

dotlj wrote:I haven't tried that, but it might be worth looking at.
I'm guessing that you have a small unencrypted partition for /boot and the rest is encrypted, then use LVM for swap, / and any other mount points.
First step would be to install cryptsetup and lvm2, then unencrypt the encrypted partition and use lvm to show the lvg and lv's.
Then you can choose what to do with each partition.

As a last resort, you could copy your /home to your backup device, delete the whole encrypted lvm, create a new partion, encrypt it, use lvm to create your new / and swap and /home.
Thanks for the response!

My current setup is

a win part
a boot part
a logical part with a lvm inside it (not sure about the right terminology here), and inside the LVM is a root, home, and swap part.

I want to encrypt the lvm/logical partition and was thinking i could do that during setup but so far (tried 4 times so far) no luck.

At the moment i don't think any of the partitions are encrypted. I guess I will try to "manual" route and installing cryptsetup etc but I was hoping (ie I'm lazy) to be able to do this during setup but I guess its not obvious what I am doing wrong during setup (I need to copy a screen shot during setup of my partitions).

Ah well.

fsmithred

#5 Post by fsmithred »

The steps for creating an encrypted lvm during installation are not obvious. I did it and made some notes here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 16#p277475