Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GRUB doesn't install when using USB install.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
MatthewLM

GRUB doesn't install when using USB install.

#1 Post by MatthewLM »

Hello.

I have used the Xfce torrent installer which is apparently the live install, but it isn't. I got it from here: https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

I used a USB and I'm using two drives (SSD/HDD combo). I'm aware of the issues with GRUB installation. I entered the rescue mode, entered a console on the root partition and mounted the boot partition (I created a boot partition to see if that would solve my issue but it didn't). I then typed "grub-install /dev/sha" where sha is my SSD and contains the boot partition. I'm still getting a black screen during boot, GRUB will not appear.

How can I fix this?

I managed to get my /var/log/installer/syslog via FTP: http://godofgod.co.uk/my_files/syslog

Thanks,

Matthew

Edit: I might try SolydX instead of debian.

aplistir

Re: GRUB doesn't install when using USB install.

#2 Post by aplistir »

Hi.

I had the same problem, when I installed Wheezy on my machine from the liveCD. (I have SSD and HDD and grub did not install)
Then I found out, that if you select the
"Download from internet" -thing during the installation process.
Can't remember the excat words. something similar though.
Was it: "Download updates as you install"..

But if that option was selected, grub installed as it should.
It propably downloaded a corrected version of grub..

MatthewLM

Re: GRUB doesn't install when using USB install.

#3 Post by MatthewLM »

When it asked me to connect to a mirror to download updates I did so but no luck for me.

But I've managed to install SolydX OK, so I'm using that. Hopefully SolydXK progresses well into the future. It's closely based off Debian testing, similar to LMDE. The only real issue was that the installer only allowed me to set mount points for one drive, but I was able to fix that afterwards.