Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My Grub2 menu is garbled looking [SOLVED]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
thriftee

My Grub2 menu is garbled looking [SOLVED]

#1 Post by thriftee »

Its a Dell Inspriron 8100 and I have the Jessie A1 version on SDA7, Win XP on SDA2, and antiX 13.2 on SDA5, but I can't read the grub menu now. Initially it installed ok, but I was having problems keeping track of which partition was which, and changed the text value to add the word Jessie into the text so I would remember which was debian vs antix, but couldn't figure out how to save the change, and finally booted, but then the next time I booted from the HD, the Grub2 screen was garbled.

I tried to upload a small picture of it, but it looks like the board can't accept any attachments.

Anyway, is there some way to regenerate the grub menu, and is there some way to edit the text so its easy to tell which os is which?

Thanks for any help...

PS: Jessie is the best linux out there. Its the only linux os that recognized the screen correctly on the Dell and its so nice to have the USB drive mount without any effort

PSS: I tried the "boot repair" cd, but no change to the grub menu at boot. I guess the next option is a 3 to 4 hr reinstall of Jessie, or make some room and install something else with grub 2
Last edited by thriftee on 2014-04-13 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Too many computers to list. I wonder if there is a moral in there somewhere?

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: My Grub2 menu is garbled looking

#2 Post by kiyop »

Code: Select all

update-grub
with root privilege on sane linux with grub2 and os-prober.
You can add your manual menuentry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom. Read grub2 manual and be clever!
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

ratcheer

#3 Post by ratcheer »

Uncomment the line that says #GRUB_TERMINAL=console to get a readable menu display.

Tim

thriftee

#4 Post by thriftee »

kiyop

I made some room on the drive and loaded a 2nd jessie system on it, and when I did, as part of the install process, I saw it ran the update-grub. But that didn't fix the garbled grub menu screen.

So then, I was *bad* and edited the text prompts to prefix the menu text with the volume label and "on /dev/sdaX" in the grub.cfg that it says not to edit, and made a spare copy in my home directory. It wasn't a kosher mod, but at least it worked.

I will go read the grub manual some more, per above. To be honest, I hate copycatting things I don't understand, but hate worse to make a mistake because I couldn't see what I was doing.

Tim,
what file/where is the line that says #GRUB_TERMINAL=console at? I was looking all over for it, but didn't find it anywhere. That was how I tripped on the text in the grub.cfg above.

thanks for the help :)

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#5 Post by kiyop »

thriftee wrote:what file/where is the line that says #GRUB_TERMINAL=console at?
If there is not such a line in /etc/default/grub, add it. Then execute

Code: Select all

update-grub
with root privilege on (again ;) ) sane linux.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

thriftee

Re: My Grub2 menu is garbled looking [SOLVED]

#6 Post by thriftee »

HEY! That fixed it :)

Thanks much

ratcheer

Re: My Grub2 menu is garbled looking [SOLVED]

#7 Post by ratcheer »

I knew it would. :wink:

Tim