Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Replacing Ubuntu with Debian in Dual boot.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tvernon

Replacing Ubuntu with Debian in Dual boot.

#1 Post by tvernon »

I had a dual boot (XP/Ubuntu) but wanted to switch out Ubuntu for Debian.

After using gParted to shrink Ubuntu so I could tri-boot, Ubuntu will no longer boot. I've managed to get my files off the partition and now just want to remove the Ubuntu partitions and install Debian.

Currently, grub allows me to boot into Windows. Is it safe just to whack the partitions and run the Debian install or will booting be an issue when I'm done.

Killed enough time spinning around without knowing what I was doing. Figured I'd ask on this one.

Thanks.

dasein

Re: Replacing Ubuntu with Debian in Dual boot.

#2 Post by dasein »

tvernon wrote:Is it safe just to whack the partitions and run the Debian install...
Without specific hardware details, the best answer anyone can come up with is "probably."

You can also skip the whacking step and simply repartition during the Debian install. Just pick the installer's "manual partitioning" option and set things up however you like.

tvernon

#3 Post by tvernon »

Thanks.

Its an old Dell Precision M65...T7400 processor, GeForce 7400 video.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Yeah, you should be fine. That said, if you've not backed up your personal data recently, now would be an excellent opportunity to do so.

dotlj

#5 Post by dotlj »

After backing up and personal data, start Debian installation, choose Advanced to get more options. In Disk Partition, you see all of the partitions, you can remove the Ubuntu partitions and use the free space to make a new partition for Debian.
It is a good idea to think about and decide on your partitioning before you start the installation.
As XP is months past receiving any more security updates, you may want to consider removing the XP partitions and ending up with only Debian. :wink:
Once you get past there, the rest is very easy.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

From the above link: --- (post removed)---spam
No. This tutorial is only for Ubuntu.
The OP is wanting to install Debian, not Ubuntu or any thing else being promoted in
the link.
Don't blindly follow bad advice

Unfortunately there's a lot of bad advice on the Internet. Tutorials found on blogs, forums and other sites often include instructions that will break your system in subtle ways. Don't simply follow the first advice you find, or the tutorial that seems the easiest. Spend some time reading the documentation and compare the difference between tutorials.

It's better to take the time to figure out the correct way to do something first than spending even more time fixing a broken system later. You would not let some random stranger feed your baby; do not execute commands without first understanding what they do.

Blog and forum posts don't expire. Instructions that might have been safe a couple of years ago might not be safe to follow any more. When in doubt keep researching and read your version's documentation.

@OP

All the other previous posts are also good suggestions.

You will be best off following the documentation from the Debian web site, and the
wiki, and the advice given here on this forum :

https://debian-handbook.info/browse/sta ... steps.html

https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/ ... 05.html.en

https://wiki.debian.org/WindowsDualBoot
=================================================
Another option, just install Debian to the entire drive, after it is installed
install "Virtual Box", you can set up VM's with windowsXP, ubuntu, etc, what ever other
OS's you want to experiment with.
Assuming you have a WindowsXP install disk ?,...
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-10-08 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

Rahul3786 wrote:Hey i also face this problem, I can't able to make my desktop dual boot with Ubuntu and Debian or with other Linux based operating system. I found a solution of Dual dual bootand its help me a lot and 100% working for me. I hope it will also work for you. By using this method now i am able to dual boot my PC with windows, Ubuntu, Linux and Remix Os as well. So i think you must have to try this guide.
necrobumping clickbait spam.

kedaha

#8 Post by kedaha »

Just to comment that if Ubunto wouldn't boot, probably all that was necessary was to run os-prober && update-grub2 from Debian then boot up Ubunto to remove --purge its grub so that any update won't result Debian's grub being replaced but removing both XP and Ubunto is the option I would've chosen.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#9 Post by kiyop »

First confirm that you can boot from CD-ROM and/or DVD and/or external USB media.
Prepare some media (CD/DVD/USB) which can boot the installed Windows even if the boot loader (probably grub2), which is installed in the internal media, cannot boot. For example, super grub2 disk or so.
If I were you, I would use boot-info-script and understand current boot situation and back up sectors which contain codes for kernel (and boot) loader and its necessary files.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/