Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved]Wifi on Sony Vaio PRo 13

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Fitz

[solved]Wifi on Sony Vaio PRo 13

#1 Post by Fitz »

Hi.

My debian system does not have any wifi drivers unfortunately.

I suspect highly that the driver is not in the 3.2 kernel so ideally I'd like to update to a newer kernel..

However, the laptop doesn't have a network port and I don't have a network to usb cable.

SO in other words: Can anyone talk me through updating the kernel offline using a usb stick..

Thanks
Last edited by Fitz on 2014-08-02 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Fitz

Re: Wifi on Sony Vaio PRo 13

#2 Post by Fitz »

In fact I just found this post about ubuntu and installing the wifi drivers.

I'm unfortunately stuck on step 1 however as I've no idea how to do this with only my desktop computer and a usb stick to transfer stuff to my laptop. I did manage to do step 2 and 3 however. As ever I thank you for your help
The Intel wifi module 7260 is not supported by Ubuntu 13.4. Here are some steps to get it to work. You will need an supported usb wifi adapter or a second computer to download the needed data.

1.Get, compile and install latest backports (in my case: backports-3.11-rc3-1)
2. Install the very latest firmware iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode:

3. sudo cp iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode /lib/firmware/.
4. sudo modprobe iwlwifi

Connect to your wifi.
http://simon.schllng.de/2013/08/10/ubun ... 3/?lang=en

Fitz

Re: Wifi on Sony Vaio PRo 13

#3 Post by Fitz »

After much googling I found this page which helped me install the linux kernel and header files so consider this solved as my wifi is now working :)

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... connection