Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading Windows on a Computer with a Dual-Boot

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ec44

Upgrading Windows on a Computer with a Dual-Boot

#1 Post by ec44 »

I recently installed Debian 7 on a dual boot with Windows Vista. Thus, when I boot the computer, I am prompted by a GRUB screen to select Windows Vista loader, Debian, and Debian (recovery mode). I would like to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7. Will this cause an issue with GRUB? Will a Windows 7 loader be added to the list or will a Windows 7 loader replace the Windows Vista loader? Will there have to be a setting change within Debian? Within Windows?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Upgrading Windows on a Computer with a Dual-Boot

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Windows will almost certainly overwrite the MBR that directs the motherboard to your bootloader & will thus obliterate GRUB.
You will need to re-install GRUB afterwards, for example by chroot'ing into your install & running grub-install...
deadbang

ec44

#3 Post by ec44 »

I understand about the overwriting and the obliteration of GRUB, but then what is the solution? I also am unsure of the meaning of chrooting.

robert3242

#4 Post by robert3242 »

If you install Windows 7 into the same partition which currently contains Vista, then yes, Windows 7 will replace Vista. Will that effect Grub? Absolutely. Installing any Windows OS will obliterate the Grub bootloader. There is no way around that. However, reinstalling Grub is quite simple. Read this: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 07.html.en and follow the instructions exactly. If you do, you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
Debian 7.7 (amd64)/Xfce 4.8

ec44

#5 Post by ec44 »

Thanks! One more question. The link you provided says to "type rescue at the boot: prompt". Is this saying that when I restart the computer after the upgrade, GRUB will still load-just without any Windows loaders? Then how do I access the boot: prompt?

dotlj

#6 Post by dotlj »

Another way is to upgrade Windows, then boot from any Debian image (CD or flashdisk) but instead of install, choose rescue, enter language, keyboard, time zone until it gives you a shell then mount your boot partition (for example mount /dev/sda5 /boot - use whatever partition you have) then run grub-install and use your MBR
then reboot and you should get the grub menu giving you a choice of Debian or Windows 7

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ec44 wrote:I understand about the overwriting and the obliteration of GRUB, but then what is the solution? I also am unsure of the meaning of chrooting.
This is an old guide for CrunchBang, but it still applies to Debian:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=15351
deadbang