Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No wi-fi on Asus x200ma

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Alexandre_Oberlin

No wi-fi on Asus x200ma

#1 Post by Alexandre_Oberlin »

Hello,

I cannot dual boot my new Asus x200ma. The wi-fi Atheros AR9485 was not setup during the first install (see problem at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost5245350 ). I could complete the installation from CD without network though, and the dual boot worked (but I had no network on Debian of course). I then found an usb wi-fi key which worked after installing proprietary firmware. I could reinstall with network available, which completely broke my new system: I got the famous " GRUB: “invalid arch independent ELF magic” " error described at http://askubuntu.com/questions/72003/ho ... agic-error I tried to follow the steps of the solution given there but:
1. I can’t set my French keyboard layout ("loadkeys fr" does not work and I can’t find any fr keymap file). So I have to type virtually all the keys (including +shift and +altgrey) to find the necessary symbols like / $ * - { } (not speaking about the displaced letters).
2. The command history does not work (key up to edit/redo command). A previous command might be displayed but trying to edit it gives a terrible mess. So I have to retype each time a command fails and re-enjoy point 1.
3. The paths used in the grub-install script are hard-coded (i.e. /usr/sbin/grub-setup). So I may well set PATH=${PATH}:/target/usr/sbin, grub-install is then found but grub-setup is not.
4. My laptop does not have the page-up/page-down keys, and Fn+arrow does not work, so I should pipe to more every command with a lengthy output, but I still haven’t found the | key on the US keyboard...

I am now going to try to edit (in rescue mode!) the grub-install script to remove the /usr/sbin specified for grub-setup, and will probably run into a new problem and keep the forum informed.

I let you imagine the nightmare and the time lost with this.

Cheers,

Alexandre

Alexandre_Oberlin

DO NOT INSTALL DEBIAN UNDER CSM

#2 Post by Alexandre_Oberlin »

Hello again,

I now have a working dual boot. In case more people run into the same issues, here are some guidelines I can provide for ASUS X200MA laptops (at least X200MA-CT016H)

1. Disable Fast boot and Secure boot in the UEFI bios (F2 upon startup, with administrator rights)
2. If you can’t manage to boot from your USB stick, try CSM (legacy mode) once or twice in order to oil the thing ;-) but DO NOT INSTALL UNDER CSM as Debian is UEFI compatible: ensure you are in UEFI mode before installing. You should have an UEFI partition.

See http://superuser.com/questions/714856/t ... ian-jessie for more details

Once the dual boot works, you should disable the Windows boot manager entry in the UEFI bios to avoid unwanted Windows booting at times (you will boot Windows from Grub). It also helps to set a boot password in bios to get more control.

Hope this helps,

Alexandre

liudr

Re: No wi-fi on Asus x200ma

#3 Post by liudr »

Hey friend,

Glad you got your laptop to dual boot. What processor does it have? Does it have a separate graphical processor or integrated intel or ati processor? I'm having trouble with mine that has intel HD4400.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's