Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

running debian 7 live from a DVD

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
norman

running debian 7 live from a DVD

#1 Post by norman »

I have downloaded the 32 bit live package of Debian 7 Gnome. I did as instructed and downloaded ISO Recorder to unzip the file and burnt it to a DVD. All okay. However I can find no way of booting the system live from the DVD. It wants me to install on my hard drive and I specifically do not want this I want to familiarize and test the OS before putting it onto my hard drive. I thought that this was the idea behind a live DVD.

So how do I launch Debian 7? Any help would be appreciated as I have spent much of Sunday trying to do this
Thanks

EDIT *Sorry My error I did not unzip I burnt direct to DVD with ISO recorder as instructed.
Last edited by norman on 2014-11-18 17:49, edited 3 times in total.

andre@home

Re: running debian 7 live from a DVD

#2 Post by andre@home »

You should not unzip the file but use a birning program that uses the iso-burn option to make it work.
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/HowTo.htm
Copy iso to CD or DVD.
Win7 can do this out of the box withj Windos Image disk burner:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... n-iso-file

Then boot via de CD/DVD boot option in the bios, see manual pc/motherboard.

Ardouos

#3 Post by Ardouos »

If you are on a Windows system pendrivelinux has always seemed to of proved useful for this kind of thing:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
You could also try:
Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool

If you are on Linux then I would recommend using a 3rd party tool like Brasero or a built in Linux tool like DD.
DD requires you to know EXACTLY what you are doing though as it is powerful. So if you are unsure about it, I would avoid it.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

Hi Norman,
norman wrote:I have downloaded the 32 bit live package of Debian 7 Gnome.
What exactly is the name of the ISO file that you downloaded?

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

pcalvert

#5 Post by pcalvert »

Hi Norman,
norman wrote: What I downloaded is "debian-live-7.6.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso" Also I made an error in my opening statement. I did not unzip the iso file but durnt it direct to DVD using ISO RECORDER as instructed

Does this help?
Yes, but I don't know why it's not working for you. There should be other options available to you. Are you not able to use the up and down arrow keys to select an option other than the Debian installer?

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

norman

#6 Post by norman »

I donot have any option. When I open it goes straight to setup.exe. It is that or nothing. if i click on setup.exe it only allows instal on my HD

norman

#7 Post by norman »

Thank you poster s for help. I think I will just give up on Debian for now. It has cost just too much time for no result.

Thanks

Ardouos

#8 Post by Ardouos »

norman wrote:Thank you poster s for help. I think I will just give up on Debian for now. It has cost just too much time for no result.

Thanks
Click on setup.exe? Did you even launch the CD on boot?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

norman

#9 Post by norman »

Initially I did try to run from boot. As it would not boot I tried from setup.exe on the disc but neither worked.

Full explanation: I downloaded Debian live 7.60 - i386-gnome-desktop.iso I read all I could about installing and downloaded ISO Recorder 3.1 as instructed. I downloaded the iso file from the Debian site to my desk top. Using ISO Recorder 3.1 I transferred this to a DVD. Then I rebooted my laptop and tried to install/run. All I got was that the check sum did not match and the disc failed integrity check. I downloaded two more times but got the same result.

Next I repeated the download but this time to a USB stick. On reboot I got the message that no OS could be found. I checked my BIOS and confirmed that OS opening followed 1. HD 2. DVD/CD 3 USB so no problems there.

So to date I have downloaded the ISO file 4 times and on no occasion would it boot. I want to give it another try because I hate to give up on anything, so one more time Can any body make a suggestion

Thank you

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

What did you do to try and boot it? Use a function key to bring up your computer's boot menu? Or set the boot order in BIOS?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

norman

#11 Post by norman »

i set boot order in bios that comes up after I reboot the the computer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

norman wrote: I checked my BIOS and confirmed that OS opening followed 1. HD 2. DVD/CD 3 USB
That would try and boot your HD and fail if no OS was on it.
Change the BIOS boot order to 1. USB 2. DVD/CD 3 HD
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pcalvert

#13 Post by pcalvert »

Hi Norman,
norman wrote: Full explanation: I downloaded Debian live 7.60 - i386-gnome-desktop.iso I read all I could about installing and downloaded ISO Recorder 3.1 as instructed. I downloaded the iso file from the Debian site to my desk top. Using ISO Recorder 3.1 I transferred this to a DVD. Then I rebooted my laptop and tried to install/run. All I got was that the check sum did not match and the disc failed integrity check. I downloaded two more times but got the same result.
Use md5sum.exe to check the MD5 value of the ISO file. You can get md5sum.exe here:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

Direct download link:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/UnxUpdates.zip

Here is the MD5 value for the ISO file you have:

Code: Select all

d5cfd5f79a906bc467831d3a9403a80e  debian-live-7.6.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso
md5sum.exe is a command-line utility. Use it like so:

Code: Select all

md5sum debian-live-7.6.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso
Phil

andre@home

#14 Post by andre@home »

norman wrote:Next I repeated the download but this time to a USB stick. On reboot I got the message that no OS could be found. I checked my BIOS and confirmed that OS opening followed 1. HD 2. DVD/CD 3 USB so no problems there.
Downloading to an USB stick is not enough to boot it from the USB stick...
First the download must be ok, see the instruction how to check the the MD5 value of the ISO file. already given here.
Then you should either burn it in ido mode to a DVD, so not just burn by copy it via the burning program...
Or you use a program to install it as bootable on an USB stick
When you just copy it to the USB stick, you get the message "no OS could be found" hen you try to boot from USB.