Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[N/A] No Internet - Wheezy Install on Wiped Acer C720 Chrome

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
QOOOOOOOOQ

[N/A] No Internet - Wheezy Install on Wiped Acer C720 Chrome

#1 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... tyleid=117

For humor, here are my printouts, I would've replied on the other forums but seemed more clearly appropriate here.

uname -a

Code: Select all

Linux OpalMint 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0034] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device [105b:e058]
        Kernel driver in use: ath9k
lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1bcf:2c67 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0489:e056 Foxconn / Hon Hai
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
lsmod

Module Size Used By
ath9k 64619 0
ath9k_common 12728 1 ath9k
ath9k_hw 322112 2 ath9k_common,ath9k
ath 21370 3 ath9k_hw,ath9k_common,ath9k
mac80211 192806 1 ath9k
cfg80211 137243 3 mac80211,ath,ath9k
*no more entries listing ath, msg if you need full list*
*due to the excruciatingly boring copy and write process here on my iphone, i'm going to have to leave certain things out*
iwconfig

wlan0      IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:off/any
               mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
               encrypt key=off 
               power management=off
ifconfig -a

lo          Link encap: Local Loopback
             inet addr:127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
             inet6 addr: ::1/128 scope:Host
             UP RUNNING LOOPBACK MTU:16436 Metric:1
             *all other data = 0*
wlan 0   Link encap:ethernet hwaddr b0:10:41:34:12:a5
             BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
             *all other data = 0*
cat /etc/resolv.conf

search gateway.pace.com
nameserver 192.168.1.254
route -n

Kernel IP routing table
destination gateway genmask flags-metric-ref use-iface
*and yes, i tried entering the other guys solution in the post, my result was my interface does not support this setting when i got to the last step or something*
Last edited by QOOOOOOOOQ on 2015-04-12 06:32, edited 2 times in total.

JLloyd13

Re: No Internet - Wheezy Install on Wiped Acer C720 Chromebo

#2 Post by JLloyd13 »

The easiest ways to run Linux on a Chromebook is Chrbuntu or crouton- both use the Chrome OS kernel and all of its hardware drivers, so everything works perfectly. I'm a Chrome user anyway so crouton works well for me on my Samsung series5, and is incredibly easy to set up
up, but if you arent Chrbuntu (I think that's how its spelt) might be a good solution for you.

EDIT

I see the user of the Ubuntu forums was in fact using Chrubuntu. Your print out seems to show something called "opalmint". Please explain what this is, and put output of everything in your OP and after in code tags.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

QOOOOOOOOQ

#3 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Sorry havent replied, busy with school. Committed changes now.

Im installing a dedicated OS to the machine, without a dualboot process, i dont believe this is different than the other guy because his problems were when he was using the linux side, not from Chrubuntu.

OpalMint is just the name i gave the computer when installing.

JLloyd13

#4 Post by JLloyd13 »

QOOOOOOOOQ wrote:Sorry havent replied, busy with school. Committed changes now.

Im installing a dedicated OS to the machine, without a dualboot process, i dont believe this is different than the other guy because his problems were when he was using the linux side, not from Chrubuntu.

OpalMint is just the name i gave the computer when installing.
Ah- my mistake.

Well this is one of the few situations where I'd have to recommend a *buntu instead of debian for a dedicated OS- I'm honestly give Chrubuntu a shot, using all of the Chrome OS kernel and drivers sounds like the ideal setup.

Other than that I can't be of more help, hopefully someone else can.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

v&n

#5 Post by v&n »

Can you show us the result of a script frequently used at Ubuntu Forums? One of the two versions of it : http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=13024222

It may give us some further hints about the issue and a possible solution.

QOOOOOOOOQ

#6 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

http://pastebin.com/VzZUsyS3

The forum post said 'sudo ./wireless_script' would not generate a complete log file sometimes, but it was the only way I could get the file to run because even giving it 'chmod 777 wireless_script.txt', it claimed it didn't have permissions to continue, and canceled itself instantly, but there it is.

v&n

#7 Post by v&n »

You don't seem to have NetworkManager installed. Are you using WICD or something else instead? Or is it a CLI only installation (no GUI)?

QOOOOOOOOQ

#8 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Non-GUI (I was going to install cinnamon instead of gnome), the GUI install for some reason just wouldn't work, it's as if it couldn't detect any ram on the computer so it kept saying it didn't have enough to start. (whether i set ram to 512mb, 1g, 2g, 4g, etc (it has 4 in reality))

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You can connect using nm-cli:

# nm-cli con wifi <SSID> password <password>
Replace <SSID> with the name of the access point (use `iwlist scan` to find this) and <password> with your password.

However, I think you need to find out why your system isn't detecting any RAM.

I've never used a Chromebook so I can't really help you with that, sorry.
deadbang

QOOOOOOOOQ

#10 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You can connect using nm-cli:

# nm-cli con wifi <SSID> password <password>
Replace <SSID> with the name of the access point (use `iwlist scan` to find this) and <password> with your password.

However, I think you need to find out why your system isn't detecting any RAM.

I've never used a Chromebook so I can't really help you with that, sorry.

sudo iwlist scan
gives 'lo' and 'wlan0', i assume one is local, one is wifi or whatever.

sudo nm-cli con wifi lo password censored
returns

-bash: nm-cli: command not found
same with using 'wlan0' as opposed to 'lo', and same when using 'nmcli' as opposed to 'nm-cli', the reason for doing that here: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/mav ... cli.1.html

then, i went here: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... sing-nmcli :namely, "I tried nmcli con up id dlink_home but it only works after I start GUI with startx, without starting GUI nmcli nm's state is disabled." seemed to be particularly interesting, then clicked a sub-link to here: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... 9434#79434 :which says to reassign my laptop's wifi entry to make sure it's correct/consistent with my router and install a package (which is currently impossible due to no internet).

i tried 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <ssid> key s:<password>' and it returned

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
perhaps it means my settings aren't correctly synced to my router for wifi (but i am sure i set it up correctly when installing linux, either way, this information might help the next replier)

QOOOOOOOOQ

#11 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Anyone? I just want LMDE 64x on a wiped-drive Chromebook Acer C720. I will do anything just to have it even work, I don't even care about anything else. I didn't know I would be spending months on and off trying to figure it out. So, I'm going to list out all my installation steps right here and see if anyone has any clue.

1. Removed back screw, flashed bios with the two commands needed, which for some reason I can't seem to find anywhere online now.

2. Installed UNetBootin and LMDE Cinnamon 64x, and write the .iso to a usb

3. Insert usb and start from it, select any of the installation options, all return:

Not enough memory to load specified image.
boot:
4: I press tab on any of the options, and make sure:

--mem=1024M
is entered, same result. Same result with 512, 2048, and 4072.

5. Clearly LMDE Cinnamon x64 doesn't work. Next option, LMDE Cinnamon x32. It should bring the same results since the Chromebook is 64 bit, but whatever, done.

6. Going through the same steps as the 64x version, I get to step 4, and it results in the exact same problem, it's as if it doesn't detect any ram at all. How? Why?

What do you guys need to help me debug it?

*Edit: If you're wondering, the install i have on it right now is Debian 64x No GUI. It's as if it doesn't approve of graphical installations. Tried downloading Debian x64 Graphical Install, same problem as step 3. Any solutions?
Last edited by QOOOOOOOOQ on 2015-04-11 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

You'll probably get some admonitions: "get thee to the Mint forums", but a simple websearch turns up several threads, such as this one: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=166633
where LMDE installs were successful, so picking their brains could be fruitful.
MX Linux packager and developer

QOOOOOOOOQ

#13 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Actually, i've already made two threads over the last two months on the linuxmint forums, neither concluded favorably. Either nobody felt like responding or knew how to solve it.

I've looked at many different topics and links through googling both before and after you suggested, and all come to the conclusion that adding the mem parameter for startup works, or that they were able to simply "plug and play" LMDE on a Chromebook. The few situations regarding

Not enough memory to load specified image.
AND

mem=?
not working as a fix all end with no solution (i believe there are two other people with the same error, but can't find either currently).

Honestly, if someone wants to mumble with me to get this resorted, i can have all the suggested downloadables downloaded beforehand and be walked through it and provide precise real-time feedback, i'd be more than happy.

v&n

#14 Post by v&n »

I think you should ask your installation related questions in a new thread with a relevant title. The title of this thread may not attract users who might possibly help with that. Your major problem appears to be a GUI installation, internet connectivity just being one of the means to achieve that.

While wifi can obviously be used without GUI (using wpa-supplicant and /etc/network/interfaces file), I don't have any first hand experience with those kind of setups so can't offer a very confident help with that. I'm sure we can figure it out with some simple try-and-error efforts (starting with pointers like this), I think you should solve your major problem first.

Knowing nothing about Chromebooks, what if you swap its hdd with a Debian pre-installed one? Assuming it does have an hdd similar to other netbooks that belong to human world. In a slightly different approach, you can pull the hdd out > connect it (internally or via a usb-sata bridge adapter) to another computer that listens to you like a good friend > install Debian there (of course assuming you have it really wiped out already, nothing to save. Else make a backup or disk-clone first somewhere) > put it back in the chromebook. Does it even make any sense? Sorry if something doesn't apply here at all. Like I said, I've no experience with chromebooks.

QOOOOOOOOQ

#15 Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Good point, and the ssd is practically micro-size, i don't know the physical specs of it but i'm pretty certain it won't connect to anything besides another chromebook, i'll give that a go though. I'll also make note of your link and work on that tomorrow, then post my results in a properly titled thread.

v&n

#16 Post by v&n »

QOOOOOOOOQ wrote:Good point, and the ssd is practically micro-size, i don't know the physical specs of it but i'm pretty certain it won't connect to anything besides another chromebook
Does it have SATA interface like normal SSDs? If yes, it will connect to any other desktop/notebook/netbook. The design and pin layout of SATA interface is same for all kinds of drives, except for some laptop optical drives whose power connectors are smaller. But those can also be connect to the standard connectors using a simple 'SlimLine Cable' :