Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wheezy install 7.8.0 wifi issue

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
cli-deb

wheezy install 7.8.0 wifi issue

#1 Post by cli-deb »

hi i love using wheezy but i keep having to take my computer downstairs to hook it up to router through ethernet, i need it to connect through wifi and stay connected.

heres my problem, if i use live image and connect to network its fine but during installation process it gets to the network configuration, it will keep disconnecting at dhcp and if i try and continue it gives me the error packages broken due to it not staying connected.

MY WIFI CARD IS A TP-LINK WDN 4800

if i try and just do a net install then it doesnt show my wifi network.

it uses in both cases ar93xx atheros driver for installing, i just need to know how i can try and keep a stable connection over wifi so it can install over wifi so i dont have to keep taking pc downstairs to install it.

i done something that stopped me being able to login into wheezy i was left at black screen with blinking command line, i have reverted to mint debian until i can get a stable connection over wifi to install wheezy again
C.L.I (COMMAND-LINE-INTELLIGENCE)

stevepusser

Re: wheezy install 7.8.0 wifi issue

#2 Post by stevepusser »

If Mint can get a stable connection in the same spot with the same hardware, then that would mean that either it's the newer driver in Mint's more recent kernel that's the difference, or perhaps some configuration of the driver that's helping, or a combination.

You can get a much newer driver by installing an official Debian backported kernel from backports.org, currently it's 3.16. The kernel drivers for Atheros PCI type cards do not need any non-free firmware packages.

There is an option to compile and install the most recent drivers on the stock kernel, but nobody seems to go for that.
MX Linux packager and developer

cli-deb

#3 Post by cli-deb »

stevepusser wrote:If Mint can get a stable connection in the same spot with the same hardware, then that would mean that either it's the newer driver in Mint's more recent kernel that's the difference, or perhaps some configuration of the driver that's helping, or a combination.

You can get a much newer driver by installing an official Debian backported kernel from backports.org, currently it's 3.16. The kernel drivers for Atheros PCI type cards do not need any non-free firmware packages.

There is an option to compile and install the most recent drivers on the stock kernel, but nobody seems to go for that.
i cant finish the install process unless its connected to ethernet, im not sure how to compile drivers to kernel is it possible to do through live image and have it load through the install? so i can get a stable connection through wheezy install?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Oh--so you do have a good connection using the wifi during a Live session, but it's just the installer that is breaking the connection? In that case, it would probably be easiest just to use the wired connection during the installation to work around that problem. I really don't know what your installer issue with the wifi would be, but maybe somebody else is familiar with the issue and could chime in.
MX Linux packager and developer

cli-deb

#5 Post by cli-deb »

stevepusser wrote:Oh--so you do have a good connection using the wifi during a Live session, but it's just the installer that is breaking the connection? In that case, it would probably be easiest just to use the wired connection during the installation to work around that problem. I really don't know what your installer issue with the wifi would be, but maybe somebody else is familiar with the issue and could chime in.
lol yes sorry should of mentioned that my connection is fine in live enviroment but it seems to be when its going through installer that breaks the connection

cli-deb

#6 Post by cli-deb »

anyone?

emariz

#7 Post by emariz »

cli-deb wrote:if i try and just do a net install then it doesnt show my wifi network.
What image was used for the network installation? Did you check its MD5 hash? It is in the same directory of the image.
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/

Why do you not install Debian using the wired Internet connection? Then, once the system is installed, you can solve the WiFi issues.
Seriously, system installations should not be done over WiFi.

And what about trying Jessie instead of Wheezy? Not that Jessie will fix all your issues, but it will be released as Stable later this month and its packages are two years newer that those in Wheezy.
I think that there are no live versions of Testing, but you could install Jessie in a virtual machine inside Mint (or whatever your primary system is.)

cli-deb

#8 Post by cli-deb »

emariz wrote:
cli-deb wrote:if i try and just do a net install then it doesnt show my wifi network.
What image was used for the network installation? Did you check its MD5 hash? It is in the same directory of the image.
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/

Why do you not install Debian using the wired Internet connection? Then, once the system is installed, you can solve the WiFi issues.
Seriously, system installations should not be done over WiFi.

And what about trying Jessie instead of Wheezy? Not that Jessie will fix all your issues, but it will be released as Stable later this month and its packages are two years newer that those in Wheezy.
I think that there are no live versions of Testing, but you could install Jessie in a virtual machine inside Mint (or whatever your primary system is.)
debian-live-7.8.0-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso was the installation i used

i cant keep hauling my pc downstairs when i want to install wheezy router is in a different room in the house!

i downloaded the jessie rc2 installer so i might just install that wired to router !

wifi is fine in live installer and after installation i try different distro but got annoying having to carry pc downstairs just to install wheezy

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

emariz wrote:Why do you not install Debian using the wired Internet connection? Then, once the system is installed, you can solve the WiFi issues.
+1. Further to this, solve the Wifi issue within range of the wired connection in case you have to download something else.
emariz wrote:And what about trying Jessie instead of Wheezy?
+1. You can get a Jessie install iso over here.

v&n

#10 Post by v&n »

In my experience (AR9285 card here), the ath9k driver in kernel 3.2.0-6 (64 bit) has been the best performer for my card, as well as for most of the others as reported by many users at different forums. Then it almost broke badly during kernel 3.8 series (probably due to some critical changes in the kernel code). Then it got better again with kernel 3.11 (some problems were solved by using backports from 3.10 also) and later. But some of the frequently reported problems with ath9k in latest kernels did not exist (or rarely occurred) with the one that came with kernel 3.2 series.

Based on this personal and possibly very subjective experience, I think you should first try a commonly used driver parameter - nohwcrypt=1 first -

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -rv ath9k
sudo modprobe -v ath9k nohwcrypt=1
If this seems to solve the problem, the parameter can be made permanent by writing a conf file with the following command -

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf <<< "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1"
However, if it doesn't make any difference, you should definitely try the latest driver from backports, that is, the one from kernel 3.16.

Be aware that if you created the .conf file with the last command above, the 'nohwcrypt=1' parameter will be effective with whatever version of the driver you install. To get rid of it (although I have never seen it causing any negative effects), simply delete the conf file -

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

cli-deb

#11 Post by cli-deb »

v&n wrote:In my experience (AR9285 card here), the ath9k driver in kernel 3.2.0-6 (64 bit) has been the best performer for my card, as well as for most of the others as reported by many users at different forums. Then it almost broke badly during kernel 3.8 series (probably due to some critical changes in the kernel code). Then it got better again with kernel 3.11 (some problems were solved by using backports from 3.10 also) and later. But some of the frequently reported problems with ath9k in latest kernels did not exist (or rarely occurred) with the one that came with kernel 3.2 series.

Based on this personal and possibly very subjective experience, I think you should first try a commonly used driver parameter - nohwcrypt=1 first -

sudo modprobe -rv ath9k
sudo modprobe -v ath9k nohwcrypt=1
If this seems to solve the problem, the parameter can be made permanent by writing a conf file with the following command -

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf <<< "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1"
However, if it doesn't make any difference, you should definitely try the latest driver from backports, that is, the one from kernel 3.16.

Be aware that if you created the .conf file with the last command above, the 'nohwcrypt=1' parameter will be effective with whatever version of the driver you install. To get rid of it (although I have never seen it causing any negative effects), simply delete the conf file -

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
can this be done on live usb so that it it is loaded during install? its only seems to be when im installing wheezy once it gets to dhcp it disconnects then the packages break because of it.

mardybear

#12 Post by mardybear »

cli-deb wrote: can this be done on live usb so that it it is loaded during install? its only seems to be when im installing wheezy once it gets to dhcp it disconnects then the packages break because of it.
No, the liveUSB will essentially load read-only and you have not yet installed Debian on your hard drive - correct?
hi i love using wheezy but i keep having to take my computer downstairs to hook it up to router through ethernet, i need it to connect through wifi and stay connected.
Wired connection is the way to go during an installation, proven and reliable. Ethernet was invented in 1973 i read the other day....wow! If you don't want to carry your system downstairs, i can lend you a drill and you can run a cable through the floor :wink:

How often do you need to install? Install Wheezy once, get it running stable, work on any outstanding wireless connection issues and you have an OS ready to run for probably 1-2 years.

It is very odd that your connection works well on liveCD then flakes out during install though. You could log in to your router and try the following, otherwise just haul it downstairs.
- temporarily disable any security during the install attempt (security = none, disable wpa/wpa2)
- ensure your SSID is broadcast (not hidden)
- set channel to automatic
- transmit power = 100%
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

cli-deb

#13 Post by cli-deb »

mardybear wrote:
cli-deb wrote: can this be done on live usb so that it it is loaded during install? its only seems to be when im installing wheezy once it gets to dhcp it disconnects then the packages break because of it.
No, the liveUSB will essentially load read-only and you have not yet installed Debian on your hard drive - correct?
Wired connection is the way to go during an installation, proven and reliable. Ethernet was invented in 1973 i read the other day....wow! If you don't want to carry your system downstairs, i can lend you a drill and you can run a cable through the floor :wink:

How often do you need to install? Install Wheezy once, get it running stable, work on any outstanding wireless connection issues and you have an OS ready to run for probably 1-2 years.

It is very odd that your connection works well on liveCD then flakes out during install though. You could log in to your router and try the following, otherwise just haul it downstairs.
- temporarily disable any security during the install attempt (security = none, disable wpa/wpa2)
- transmit power = 100%
no problem, i already have a drill but my parent would go spare if i started to drill holes just for ethernet cable, i will haul it downstairs one last time for jessie install then thats it :) thank you for your kind reply :)

mardybear

#14 Post by mardybear »

Sounds good, but did you try these suggestions?
- transmit power = 100%
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

cli-deb

#15 Post by cli-deb »

mardybear wrote:Sounds good, but did you try these suggestions?
- transmit power = 100%
havent tried them yet will be today, i might just take pc downstairs and install jessie ! anything else i should know installing jessie?

v&n

#16 Post by v&n »

cli-deb wrote:can this be done on live usb so that it it is loaded during install?
The suggestion was for installed version. Although you can do it in live session, I can't say whether the changes will carry forward to the installation or not. Even if they do carry forward, I don't think it will be any different than doing it AFTER installation.

If you need to install packages offline (in case you wish to try the backports), you can use '--print-uris' option of 'apt-get' command to give you a list of URIs of the packages needed for installation. You can then use these URIs to download the packages on a different computer > copy them over to the target computer > install them all-at-once with 'sudo dpkg -i *' command. For example, to install package 'build-essential' offline -

apt-get install --print-uris build-essential
It will proceed as if really going to install it, but instead of downloading and doing actual installation, it will end with a list of URIs of the packages required for installation.

Please note that this method applies only to those packages whose information is already available in apt-cache.