Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can Debian be booted with Secure Boot enabled?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
G-Known

Can Debian be booted with Secure Boot enabled?

#1 Post by G-Known »

Hi,

Since users need to disable secure boot to install Debian but can you enable after its installation?
Debian Jessie
Asus Zenbook UX305FA-ASM1
Intel Core M 5Y10; Intel HD Graphics 5300

JLloyd13

Re: Can Debian be booted with Secure Boot enabled?

#2 Post by JLloyd13 »

G-Known wrote:Hi,

Since users need to disable secure boot to install Debian but can you enable after its installation?
No. Secure boot prevents you from booting it at all. They may be a way around it (such as Ubuntu and Fedora have implemented) but it is probably best to leave it off (no real benefit)
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

G-Known

#4 Post by G-Known »

I've heard that there's issues with using UEFI own bootloader on dual booting. They usually report one system booting and not the other. What different steps can it take to resolve this?
Debian Jessie

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

G-Known wrote:I've heard that there's issues with using UEFI own bootloader on dual booting. They usually report one system booting and not the other. What different steps can it take to resolve this?
I have experienced this on one laptop with Windows and I have a workable solution.

Post a new thread with a descriptive title if this happens to you and I will post the solution so all can benefit.
deadbang

alan stone

#6 Post by alan stone »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I have experienced this on one laptop with Windows and I have a workable solution.
Post a new thread with a descriptive title if this happens to you and I will post the solution so all can benefit.
How about posting it in the "Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks" section?

G-Known

#7 Post by G-Known »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
G-Known wrote:I've heard that there's issues with using UEFI own bootloader on dual booting. They usually report one system booting and not the other. What different steps can it take to resolve this?
I have experienced this on one laptop with Windows and I have a workable solution.

Are you saying that the UEFI bootloader should be able dual boot both systems?
Debian Jessie

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

G-Known wrote:Are you saying that the UEFI bootloader should be able dual boot both systems?
I have one UEFI laptop triple-booting Arch, Debian Sid & Slackware64-Current and another laptop booting Windows 10, Arch, Debian Jessie & Slackware64-Current in EFI-mode and FreeBSD 10.1 in non-EFI-mode so it most certainly is possible :D

The only problem I encountered was when I installed Windows 10 in EFI-mode and the laptop defaulted to boot that automatically no matter what changes were attempted with `efibootmgr` (in GNU/Linux), `bcdedit` (in Windows) or from the firmware (BIOS) menu options.

My solution was to rename the /boot/Microsoft folder and write a gummiboot menu entry to boot the Windows bootmanager manually from the modified path.
deadbang