Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where's my GUI?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Mark_667

Where's my GUI?

#1 Post by Mark_667 »

I've just installed Debian

#2 Post by Guest »

I'm sorry, I posted accidentally before I finished the message it should have read thus:

I've just installed Debian Sarge and it seems to have worked fine, but whenever I boot into it I only get a command-line log-in and then a command prompt, but no GUI. Is there something I missed in the install? What do I have to do to correct this?

Please help :D

drdebian

#3 Post by drdebian »

Anonymous wrote:I'm sorry, I posted accidentally before I finished the message it should have read thus:

I've just installed Debian Sarge and it seems to have worked fine, but whenever I boot into it I only get a command-line log-in and then a command prompt, but no GUI. Is there something I missed in the install? What do I have to do to correct this?

Please help :D
It depends what you selected at the end of the installation routine. If you didn't check the box next to "Desktop System" then ending up on the text prompt should be no surprise.

Depending on which desktop environment (plain X, Gnome or KDE) you prefer, try one of these:

Code: Select all

apt-get install x-window-system xdm

apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment gdm

apt-get install kde kdm

mark_667

#4 Post by mark_667 »

I did as you said and it installed (eventually), but I still had the install DVD in the drive on boot so it didn't restart properly the first time after it was installed I don't know if this is why it says it is installed, but still only boots into the command line?

I did try to check 'Desktop System' at the end of the installation, but I assumed you selected it by hitting return and then you'd get more detailed options I hit return, but it didn't install it. It just went and finished the installation and I don't know if the rest of the options were installed because I couldn't check them. It gave a message to say you can get back to the screen afterwards by typing 'base config'. I tried it, but it didn't work-command not found I think. Do I need to re-install?

mority

#5 Post by mority »

The command is 'base-config' (note the dash), not 'base config'.

And you have to be root to run it.

You are most probably root if your command prompt ends wit a '#'. If it ends with a '$', you are logged in as a normal user. In this case type 'su -' and then your root password to become root. Then try 'base-config' again.

mark_667

#6 Post by mark_667 »

Thanks Mority 'base-config' from root did work I installed a couple of packages, including the desktop system, restarted and I got a nice GUI :D it also allowed me to configure a few other things (keyboard layout, etc) that I didn't have a chance to the first time.