Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No mouse and keyboard in stretch amd64 installer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
herostratus

No mouse and keyboard in stretch amd64 installer

#1 Post by herostratus »

Hi,

I have Asus Z87-PRO motherboard with i5-4670k and I'm trying to install Debian Testing with 64-bit architecture. My problem is mouse and keyboard (I guess USB in general) stop working after installer get loaded (the last thing I do is choose between text and graphical install). I found a few topics on different forums indicating that I should enable IOMMU (Intel VT-d) option in my bios. The problem is that Intel k-series processors didn't use to have IOMMU support, so there's nothing I can do about it. I tried changing different bios options like disabling UEFI, enabling xHCI and EHCI with no luck. Passing "iommu=off" or "iommu=soft" to the boot command also doesn't help. However, I have LMDE 2 64-bit live cd (based on Debian Jessie) and it works fine, so I guess my problem may be related to some changes in 4.2 kernel.

Any help?

spacex

Re: No mouse and keyboard in stretch amd64 installer

#2 Post by spacex »

It's a known bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=802618

This is the kind of thing that has to be expected in both Testing and Unstable. If you had installed "apt-listbugs" first, you would have been notified about this bug, and could have aborted the upgrade before you got yourself into trouble.

Now I will lay one ground rule for anyone who ever thinks about doing a upgrade to Testing/Unstable. INSTALL apt-listbugs before you even think about upgrading. Because apt-listbugs isn't only recommended, it is a 100% must, and it's also a must to check every single grave and serious bug reported, before deciding whether to upgrade or not.

Here is one thing you can try: (in terminal, copy the whole line and paste it into the terminal, and hit enter)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -- reinstall libpam-systemd
Then reboot...

herostratus

#3 Post by herostratus »

Thanks for the link.
I'm Debian user for over 10 years, so I'm fully aware of risks when using testing/sid. I ran into this problem not after upgrade but during clean install. If there is a missing dependency and xorg-server-core was upgraded in testing on Monday, so probably the previous weekly build iso will work fine. I will check that later.

herostratus

#4 Post by herostratus »

Okay, I checked other installers with no luck. Jessie and Stretch alpha 3 don't even boot on my hardware. Stretch alpha 4 (released today) boots properly, but after loading the installer there's still no input. Text install doesn't work neither, so I don't think it could be X server related bug.
I suppose the culprit is my CPU which is the only Haswell i5 with no IOMMU support.
Any other ideas or should I go with bug report?