Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Failing to boot debian

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
RuotsalainenO

Failing to boot debian

#1 Post by RuotsalainenO »

I installed Debian on my PC with a Acer Stock motherboard (xc600) with amd64 and after the installation finished it told me to remove my installation media and reboot. After reboot I was returned this message ' ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.'. I have verified with gparted using mint live OS that I have Debian installed on my system.
I got believes that this may have be caused by a broken grub or I need to configure something I don't know how in BIOS.

I will update the topic later..

My installation media was a USB 2.0 flashdrive with a Debian 8.2 Jessie Installer and 9 different Linux distros. I have installed Debian multiple times before on my laptop and never had this problem so I know how to go through the installation process and set the partitions.
Last edited by RuotsalainenO on 2015-11-04 07:00, edited 2 times in total.

GarryRicketson

Re: Failing to boot debian

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

after the installation finished it told me to remove my installation media and reboot.
What was your installation media, USB or CD, or "net install" ?,
You are not really giving much details, to go with,
When you installed, Debian, Which version ?, how did you install ?,
You should have been asked where you wanted to install "grub" to, this would have been the last thing you did , before you finished the installation. Where did you install grub too ?
Did you read the manual, before intstalling ? https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
You don't mention, if this "Acer" is "i386" or is it a "64-bit PC (amd64)"???
But , if you did read the installation manual , did you do what it says and get any firmware you may need, etc. ?
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

You either did not install "grub", or installed it to the USB device, if that is what you used to install with,...
So probably you need to install "grub" correctly .

Recovering a Broken System

The above link is "chapter 8", but please do your self a favor, and read the first chapters, first, ..
Then you will understand more about what is going on when you get to chapter "6":
This, starts at "chapter 6", (below)
Chapter 6. Using the Debian Installer

If you have never used or worked with Debian before, you really need to read these things, before you start trying to install it. Not after you failed installing correctly.
But any way, if you are sure the installation is complete, and correctly done, then all you need to do is install grub, or re-install it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Load up a live ISO image and install GRUB to your MBR:

Code: Select all

# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
This presumes that you main drive is assigned to /dev/sda -- check using `lsblk`

If it still won't boot, either write your own grub.cfg or chroot into your system and update the configuration file.
deadbang

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#4 Post by kiyop »

Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/