Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't boot back to Windows [SOLVED]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Tableuraz

Can't boot back to Windows [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Tableuraz »

Hi there,

I installed Debian 5 hours ago, and I am fighting with it since then.
I'll pass on the tons of issues I am encountering (wrong desktop environment (I asked for debian's, I got Gnome), shitload of various errors when doing basic things, resolution of a minitel)
The biggest issue I am having is that Grub is not listing Windows and I can't boot into it.
I've tried os-prober and update-grub, the boot info script detects Windows 7 (it's windows 10 but, whatever), I've tried to boot into a windows repair USB stick and fix the mbr and boot through the cmd (which both returned success)
I am currently trying to create boot-repair USB stick, but I keep getting errors about file systems not handling symbolic links :roll:

I am totally lost there and I badly need assistance, how can I repair Windows boot (which seems to have been messed up by Debian's setup :x )
Also, I am quite used to linux and unix systems, as I am dev and use Mac OS at work and used Ubuntu/Fedora for years, and I never had such a bad and messy experience with any of those OS... :?
Here is the boot-info generated with Boot-Repair-Disk http://paste.ubuntu.com/13366384/

Thanks in advance for your help :wink:
Last edited by Tableuraz on 2015-11-20 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Tableuraz

Re: Can't boot back to Windows

#2 Post by Tableuraz »

Okay, I've finally resolved my issue !

Here is what I had to do to resolve it (it's more of a workaround, but now I can boot both OS)
I booted into Boot-Repair-Disk and tried to repair the boot but it wasn't working, so I tried to restore MBR, and it worked !
After that, I booted into windows which told me its boot sector was damaged, so I rebooted into a Windows 10 repair disk (I am so happy I have two computers at home right now)
Once in the Windows repair disk, select advanced -> repair boot (or similar, I used French version)
After that, when booting, select the boot menu of your BIOS and select the HDD containing your OS (I've got Windows and Debian on two separate HDDs)

So, now I have to select which OS I wanna boot by selecting the HDD I wanna boot first, it does not fix the Grub issue, but at least it's working. :D

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can't boot back to Windows [SOLVED]

#3 Post by sunrat »

Probably Windows is installed using UEFI to boot and you installed a non-UEFI Debian.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#4 Post by kiyop »

According to http://paste.ubuntu.com/13366384/

Code: Select all

[quote] => Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of 
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks 
    for (,msdos1)/boot/grub.
 => Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at sector 1 of 
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location.

(snip by kiyop)

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
    Boot sector type:  -
    Boot sector info: 
    Operating System:  Debian GNU/Linux 8 
    Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab 
                       /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       Extended Partition
    Boot sector type:  Unknown
    Boot sector info: 

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
    Boot sector type:  Windows 7/2008: NTFS
    Boot sector info:  According to the info in the boot sector, sda5 starts 
                       at sector 2048.
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        

sda6: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
    Boot sector type:  -
    Boot sector info: 

sdb1: __________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: NTFS
    Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        /bootmgr /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sdb2: __________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: NTFS
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        

sdc1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
    Boot sector type:  FAT32
    Operating System:  
    Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /casper/vmlinuz.efi 
                       /EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi

(snip by kiyop)

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)
/dev/sdc1        /cdrom                   vfat       (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)[/quote]

(snip by kiyop)

=================== os-prober:
/dev/sda1:Debian GNU/Linux (8.2):Debian:linux

=================== blkid:
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: UUID="9d370314-0a10-4e16-94a5-bcaf79700c8f" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: LABEL="Stockage 2" UUID="FEC0AC42C0ABFED1" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda6: UUID="d42abaf0-172a-4481-8dba-eb3b52ded51e" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="DAE62042E62020ED" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="Stockage" UUID="16C834AFC8348F4D" TYPE="ntfs"

(snip by kiyop)

Windows not detected by os-prober on sdb1.

(snip by kiyop)

=================== UEFI/Legacy mode:
Unusual EFI: Please report this message to boot.repair@gmail.com
BIOS is EFI-compatible, and is setup in EFI-mode for this live-session.
SecureBoot disabled. (maybe sec-boot, Please report this message to boot.repair@gmail.com)

(snip by kiyop)

sda1	: sda,	not-sepboot,	grubenv-ok	grub2,	grub-pc ,	update-grub,	64,	with-boot,	is-os,	not--efi--part,	fstab-without-boot,	fstab-without-efi,	no-nt,	no-winload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	no-bmgr,	notwinboot,	apt-get,	grub-install,	with--usr,	fstab-without-usr,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	farbios,	/mnt/boot-sav/sda1.
sda5	: sda,	not-sepboot,	no-grubenv	nogrub,	no-docgrub,	no-update-grub,	32,	no-boot,	no-os,	not--efi--part,	part-has-no-fstab,	part-has-no-fstab,	no-nt,	no-winload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	no-bmgr,	notwinboot,	nopakmgr,	nogrubinstall,	no---usr,	part-has-no-fstab,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	farbios,	/mnt/boot-sav/sda5.
sdb1	: sdb,	not-sepboot,	no-grubenv	nogrub,	no-docgrub,	no-update-grub,	32,	no-boot,	is-os,	not--efi--part,	part-has-no-fstab,	part-has-no-fstab,	no-nt,	haswinload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	bootmgr,	notwinboot,	nopakmgr,	nogrubinstall,	no---usr,	part-has-no-fstab,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	farbios,	/mnt/boot-sav/sdb1.
sdb2	: sdb,	not-sepboot,	no-grubenv	nogrub,	no-docgrub,	no-update-grub,	32,	no-boot,	no-os,	not--efi--part,	part-has-no-fstab,	part-has-no-fstab,	no-nt,	no-winload,	no-recov-nor-hid,	no-bmgr,	notwinboot,	nopakmgr,	nogrubinstall,	no---usr,	part-has-no-fstab,	not-sep-usr,	standard,	farbios,	/mnt/boot-sav/sdb2.

sda	: not-GPT,	BIOSboot-not-needed,	has-no-EFIpart, 	not-usb,	has-os,	2048 sectors * 512 bytes
sdb	: not-GPT,	BIOSboot-not-needed,	has-no-EFIpart, 	not-usb,	has-os,	2048 sectors * 512 bytes

(snip by kiyop)
[/quote]
The above was generated by live CD (maybe Boot-repair disk) on /dev/sdc.
Indeed, grub2 code was installed onto the MBRs of 2 media (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb).
And there was no EFI system partition.
/dev/sdb1 was not detected as Windows System partition by os-prober, which is weird and the cause of the problem.
Maybe the OP did WRONG thing.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Tableuraz

#5 Post by Tableuraz »

Yeah, I certainly did something wrong when installing Debian, even if I don't see how I could have done something wrong with such a simple installation process.
I think the issue is more related to the os-prober which detected Windows at the start of the installation, but told me that Debian was the only OS on my computer at the end.
I mean, it detected windows before really starting to install Debian, and once all files were copied and decompressed, it couldn't detect it anymore...

It could also have been caused by the fact that I installed Debian on an old unused Windows partition (which was detected by MBR), which could have messed up MBR, perhaps I was booting on this old Windows without knowing it while assuming that I was booting on the other Windows partition...
The UEFI/non-UEFI could also explain this...
So, yeah, I understand that most times, the user is the issue. :wink:
I really don't know, but it's solved now, and Windows can't even see Debian's partition anymore and viceversa, so everyone is isolated and happy !

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#6 Post by kiyop »

If you post the boot-info of your PC, I may be able to give you the way to enable selection of debian or windows at the grub menu.

Tableuraz

#7 Post by Tableuraz »

I'll post it tomorrow, but franckly, I am already quite satisfied as it is :wink:

I successfully corrected most of the issues I was having (the resolution issue was the biggest) I had quite a hard time, but it's okay now. The only things that are bugging me out are incomplete headers in developpement libraries, I had to recode some functions and include them manually (some simple functions like min/max in math.h and strlcpy in string.h, which I prefere over strncpy... :roll: )

But anyway, it's starting to look like something I can use daily, I am having issues with the nVidia drivers and OpenCL, but will make a post about it (on nVidia forums I suppose)

kiyop

#8 Post by kiyop »

Tableuraz wrote:I'll post it tomorrow, but franckly, I am already quite satisfied as it is :wink:
Then you need not post. Ignore my former post.
Enjoy debian ;)