Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Jessie install GRUB 2 Issue

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
brazenp

[SOLVED] Jessie install GRUB 2 Issue

#1 Post by brazenp »

Hi All,

This is my first post and first time user of Debian, In the past I have used Gentoo and Arch but always encountered instability on both, therefore I thought I would give Debian a try as it is considered a 'stable' distro.

First of all my hardware:

Apple Macbook Pro 15" Retina
16GB Ram
512GB SSD
Integrated Intel card with Nvidia Geforce 750M discrete card
Broadcom 4360 Wireless

I have installed Jessie using the USB stick boot method, everything went fine, I was presented with the graphical installer which I worked my way through.

I have my partitions setup as follows, this is a UEFI system to it is a GPT table.

/dev/sda1 - Apple EFI Partition

/dev/sda2 - Mac OS X El Capitan

/dev/sda3 - Mac OS X Recovery

/dev/sda4 - FAT 32 /boot

/dev/sda5 - EXT4 /

/dev/sda6 - SWAP

/dev/sda7 - EXT4 /home

Now the issue, during the install it did not ask me where I would like to install GRUB2, therefore I can only assume it has installed it on /dev/sda1, now this would be fine except when my system boots and I am presented with GRUB2 there is not option to boot OS X.

As I understood it GRUB2 should detect other OS's as part of the configuration and install?

Ideally I would like to add an OS X entry to GRUB2, now please bear with me as I have not used GRUB2 in a long time, as I have been booting the kernel directly from the EFI hardware meaning no boot loader. From what I have read I should edit the grub.conf/30-os-probe file? and add something in there? If so I am not sure what I would need to add for boot my OS X partition.

So far this has been a great experience in term of installing, everything seems a lot smoother and stable especially Xorg and Gnome compared to previous distros. If anyone could help or point me in the right direction for a solution to this I would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by brazenp on 2016-02-12 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Jessie install GRUB 2 Issue

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

brazenp wrote:during the install it did not ask me where I would like to install GRUB2, therefore I can only assume it has installed it on /dev/sda1
*If* you have installed a UEFI system then things work a little differently -- the instruction to load GRUB is placed in the motherboard's NVRAM with the .efi loader binary being placed directly on the EFI system partition.

Check the NVRAM contents with:

Code: Select all

# efibootmgr -v
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/efibootmgr

However, if you used a live ISO image to install then you may actually be booting a non-UEFI system.

Is there a directory at /sys/firmware/efi?

If not, you are not booted in UEFI mode.

I don't think this will be the case as a BIOS boot partition is needed to hold the non-UEFI GRUB bootloader on a GPT disk and you do not appear to have such a partition.

Check with:

# parted -l
I can't stand Macs and have no experience with them (thank $DEITY) so I can't really help you with that, sorry.
deadbang

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: Jessie install GRUB 2 Issue

#3 Post by kiyop »

Answer the questions given by Head_on_a_Stick and also boot the installed debian and execute the following and post the results

fdisk -l
blkid
df
find /boot/efi -iname *.efi
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

brazenp

Re: Jessie install GRUB 2 Issue [SOLVED]

#4 Post by brazenp »

Guys,

This is definitely an UEFI installation, The UEFI directory is populated.

I have since installed Refind to /dev/sda1 and the machine now boots and i can either boot Debian or OS X.

Although this is not how I envisaged finding a solution it has worked for me.

Many Thanks :-)