Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Troubleshooting Installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
atldiyer

Troubleshooting Installation

#1 Post by atldiyer »

I'm a fairly new Linux user here. I've been running a home server with Wheezy for the last year until I upgraded to Jessie this week.

I need help troubleshooting the cause of my server crashing on boot.

Wheezy upgraded to Jessie fine using the guide at https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... ex.en.html

I have my system configured to boot to the CLI (no GUI). As soon as the login prompt appears, the system crashes and the server fails to reboot (on the reboot, the screen blanks after the GRUB splash screen and hangs).

I have tried troubleshooting and found I can successfully boot into Jessie using the Recovery Mode (Runlevel 1?) and Sysvinit options using the Advanced Menu of the GRUB boot screen. Because I can do this, I am assuming there is a conflict in the new Systemd init system. When I log into Jessie using the SysvInit option, at the login prompt I see a message:

Code: Select all

[    46.790265] systemd-logind[1987]: Failed to start user service: Unknown unit: user@1000.service 
I have scrolled through the syslog and dmesg log and have not found anything that stood out, but I'm not really sure what I am looking for.

When Jessie boots into Recovery Mode, does it use Systemd? Since Recovery Mode works, perhaps this is not a problem with Systemd. But for some reason Sysvinit boots normally, and I have full use of my Jessie server using sysvinit.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mike