Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Username password for live cd login

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dpetican

Username password for live cd login

#1 Post by dpetican »

I know this should be really simple but googling it seems to indicate this is one of the most complicated things in the universe. I'm using the latest Debian 8 live CD from http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... so-hybrid/ I selected this iso file: debian-live-8.5.0-amd64-standard.iso In other words no graphical logon (I think)

During the installation I couldn't install grub for some reason so I want to boot using he live cd and try and install grub that way. Otherwise I could really care less what the username/password is.

But..... back to the first paragraph. I've tried every combination suggested by googling this problem and no luck. What is the username and password for this image to logon? Why is it not in big bold letters on the download page? Why is it a secret known only to linux wizards. I'm assuming the point of a live CD is to get up and running as fast as possible so isn't it common sense to give away the username and password right beside the download link and not have to find it/ask around? Sorry... its late here and I'm going home now. But still, judging by the number of questions found on google regarding this topic you really got to wonder. Thanks I appreciate any help.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Username password for live cd login

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Username: user

Password: live
deadbang

dpetican

#3 Post by dpetican »

user/live does not work for a console logon. Don't know about a graphical. Just curious did you look this up on official Debian documentation or is this something you were told by someone else? It has to be documented somewhere.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dpetican wrote:user/live does not work for a console logon
Oh, sorry :oops:
is this something you were told by someone else?
^ This.

I help out with the development of a small distribution and our live image is based on the Debian jessie image so I presumed that the username & password were the same; obviously not...

I did a search for you and found http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102937 which concurs with my suggestion.

It is too hot for me to search more.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Try User: Debian Live Password: live

what is the username and password for the Debian live cd
Why is it not in big bold letters on the download page?
I will admit , on this, I don't know, and I also found it rather frustrating,
trying to find what would work, it seems like that is something they should
include in the download page, or some kind of "read me" file, on the CD/DVD
it self.
Unfortunately I do not remember what I used , that worked, but also
it was not Debian 8, it was a Debian 7 live CD,.... Any way, I did find it
by doing some searches, but I do agree, it seems like they could make
it a little easier to find.