Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

1 usb 3 dvd's? and install problem with nvidia card

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Jesjks

1 usb 3 dvd's? and install problem with nvidia card

#1 Post by Jesjks »

I have 2 problems so please bear with me, firstly I want to full install using usb so I downloaded the 3 dvd files and already used rufus on disk 1, how will I be able to install disk 2 and 3. Can I do it later after installing debian and again using rufus to use each disk separately? or do I have to make 3 usb sticks and use the 3 of them during install?

My second problem is that I have a gtx 1080 and have been having a lot of problem even getting to install. I've tried trisquel before attempting to try this I wanted to ask because I had to use the nomodeset to even install, but after install I was stuck at grub again and couldn't get past grub2 due to nvidia drivers from what I'm reading? Before I waste more time and try installing debian I hope someone can help me with these matters. Thank you.

Also I built this pc recently so it has all the latest hardware, will running debian allow me to install all drivers for all my features. I have the z170 premium motherboard and gtx 1080. I hate windows 10 with a passion and was a win 7/slackware user up until i built this pc, but my worry is that again my hardware won't be able to be utilized fully in debian. I never used it before so though so i might be off point.

Ardouos

Re: 1 usb 3 dvd's? and install problem with nvidia card

#2 Post by Ardouos »

First off, it would help us greatly if you tell us all the specifications of your computer, is it also a laptop or a desktop?
Jesjks wrote:I have 2 problems so please bear with me, firstly I want to full install using usb so I downloaded the 3 dvd files and already used rufus on disk 1, how will I be able to install disk 2 and 3. Can I do it later after installing debian and again using rufus to use each disk separately? or do I have to make 3 usb sticks and use the 3 of them during install?
If you have an internet connection, you do not need the second and third discs. Just download using your package manager from the internet. If you are adamant on using the DVDs then you can mount the ISOs on your Debian system using the mount tool (or many others). Generally with the Debian installer it does ask if you want to use any other DVDs, but from what you have written you only have one usb.

Jesjks wrote: My second problem is that I have a gtx 1080 and have been having a lot of problem even getting to install.
Your graphics card is very new (compared to Debian). You will may need to backport the Nvidia driver for it.

Edit: I have checked and even the backported version of the graphics driver is too old for your card, heck even the experimental driver is too old for your card!

You can either:

1. Use a system that can easily provide the latest graphics driver.
2. Download the driver from Nvidia's website. I would only recommend this if you know what you are doing.
3. Wait for Experimental/ Unstable to receive the driver that supports your laptop then pin and backport it yourself. Again, I would only recommend this if you know what you are doing.
4. Wait for backports to have a driver available for you.
5. Wait for the next Debian release.

For the sake od argument I will reference:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Just to make sure you are aware of using foreign packages outside Debians repos.
Jesjks wrote: but my worry is that again my hardware won't be able to be utilized fully in debian. I never used it before so though so i might be off point.
You are correct there. You may will need to backports some packages to get more functionality out of your "new" computer, I doubt you will get all the features working I am afraid.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

Ardouos wrote:
Jesjks wrote: My second problem is that I have a gtx 1080 and have been having a lot of problem even getting to install.
Your graphics card is very new (compared to Debian). You will may need to backport the Nvidia driver for it.

Edit: I have checked and even the backported version of the graphics driver is too old for your card, heck even the experimental driver is too old for your card!
a quick search suggests that it will work under ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
if you are the tinkering type, i might suggest archlinux, too.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Ardouos' post is right in every respect. Also, be aware that manual installation of the latest-and-greatest driver from the nVidia site requires that the video driver be re-installed every time there is a kernel update. Not the end of the world, but it adds a step that would not otherwise exist.

Personally, I strongly suspect that Debian is the wrong distro for this OP. Anyone who feels the need to have the latest/greatest bleeding edge stuff is going to be very unhappy with Debian.

My sugggestion: try Arch. Maybe Fedora.

Jesjks

#5 Post by Jesjks »

dasein wrote:Ardouos' post is right in every respect. Also, be aware that manual installation of the latest-and-greatest driver from the nVidia site requires that the video driver be re-installed every time there is a kernel update. Not the end of the world, but it adds a step that would not otherwise exist.

Personally, I strongly suspect that Debian is the wrong distro for this OP. Anyone who feels the need to have the latest/greatest bleeding edge stuff is going to be very unhappy with Debian.

My sugggestion: try Arch. Maybe Fedora.
Actually, I plan on keep the windows 10 install on my pc for my vive etc but although I don't need every single aspect of the motherboard I still would like to have uses of my usb 3.0 and other connections. I had so much problems even initializing the usb stick in my usb 3.0 slots that I had to put my keyboard/mouse into usb 3.0 slots so that the usb worked with usb 2.0. Weird problem but only with linux installation for some reason. In either case I wanted to install debian because a network security course i'm taking mandates that I do so.
Ardouos wrote:First off, it would help us greatly if you tell us all the specifications of your computer, is it also a laptop or a desktop?
Jesjks wrote:I have 2 problems so please bear with me, firstly I want to full install using usb so I downloaded the 3 dvd files and already used rufus on disk 1, how will I be able to install disk 2 and 3. Can I do it later after installing debian and again using rufus to use each disk separately? or do I have to make 3 usb sticks and use the 3 of them during install?
If you have an internet connection, you do not need the second and third discs. Just download using your package manager from the internet. If you are adamant on using the DVDs then you can mount the ISOs on your Debian system using the mount tool (or many others). Generally with the Debian installer it does ask if you want to use any other DVDs, but from what you have written you only have one usb.

You can either:

1. Use a system that can easily provide the latest graphics driver.
2. Download the driver from Nvidia's website. I would only recommend this if you know what you are doing.
3. Wait for Experimental/ Unstable to receive the driver that supports your laptop then pin and backport it yourself. Again, I would only recommend this if you know what you are doing.
4. Wait for backports to have a driver available for you.
5. Wait for the next Debian release.

For the sake od argument I will reference:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Just to make sure you are aware of using foreign packages outside Debians repos.
Jesjks wrote: but my worry is that again my hardware won't be able to be utilized fully in debian. I never used it before so though so i might be off point.
You are correct there. You may will need to backports some packages to get more functionality out of your "new" computer, I doubt you will get all the features working I am afraid.
Ah, but will they work with my graphics card or would I have to try them out and see?, I don't plan on gaming or doing video editing in linux. I have to keep the windows 10 installation anyway for the other uses for day to day I want debian (or trisquel) to be my daily driver.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Jesjks wrote:I built this pc recently so it has all the latest hardware, will running debian allow me to install all drivers for all my features
Debian stable is not best suited for use with the latest hardware and testing/unstable are not best suited for mission-critical applications.

I think that you would be better off with slightly older (and cheaper!) hardware so that you could run a stable system, preferably without using the contrib & non-free components of the repositories.

[/$0.02]
deadbang

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

Jesjks wrote:I wanted to install debian because a network security course i'm taking mandates that I do so.
You should have thought of your requirements before blowing a load of cash on bleeding-edge hardware that you don't actually need and that Debian won't run on.

You are SOL. Maybe get a cheap Dell Optiplex off-lease.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

Debian Jessie is definitely too old for your hardware. I just built a new system with Skylake CPU (i5-6500) and Nvidia GTX970, also too new for Jessie. For Skylake you need kernel 4.2 or later and add intel-microcode package from non-free repo.
I had an easy time installing using MX-15 Linux and installing Nvidia drivers from backports post-install. The GTX970 worked using the open source nouveau driver but the GTX1080 probably won't work with this.
For Debian, you may need to install a recent kernel from backports (4.6 is in there now and should work fine) but the Nvidia driver you need is not in the repos yet but will likely be backported sometime soon. It may be easier to install your OS using the onboard graphics and wrestle with the drivers for GTX 1080 afterwards.

Phoronix did GTX1080 benchmark testing when it was released. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... 1080&num=1
All of the testing happened on a Xeon E3-1280 v5 Skylake system running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. All of the NVIDIA tests were done with the 367.18 beta driver release.
I also got KDE Neon OS working and this may be an option as it's based on Ubuntu 16.04, but you will still need to download the driver from Nvidia.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!