Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Editing the debian/rules file?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
oedla

Editing the debian/rules file?

#1 Post by oedla »

So I'm having huge issues with installing the nvidia-driver package to work for my new 1070. So after suggestions from others I decided to follow the wiki for building locally from SVN. Predictably, I get all the errors they caution about, I get past the issue of missing directories in the build-area easily enough (I'm not so much of a noob that I can't figure out mkdir), but I get stuck on the issue that tar 1.29 or higher is needed, and the fact that jessie does not have this necesitates altering the "debian/rules file".

My question is, how d I do this? The wiki tells me exactly what to change, but not how the access the file itself (presumably because this is considered basic and something I should already know).

Section #2 @ https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... s_from_SVN

edbarx

Re: Editing the debian/rules file?

#2 Post by edbarx »

If you are compiling from source you must have a directory tree like this:

Code: Select all

source_root
|
|----> debian
              |
              |----> control
While in the directory containing source_root:

Code: Select all

nano source_root/debian/control
Use nano or any other text editor to edit control. It is as simple as that.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Boy, that wiki guide looks like a PITA. Why not just try and backport the 367.44 nvidia-driver in Experimental, which supports the 1070? Heck, I'll put the Debian source directly into a Jessie OBS repository and see if it builds, then you can try it directly.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

So, just reloading the Debian source files into the OBS succeeded. https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... dia-driver

They are in their own, sealed-off repository, I didn't have to add anything else to it.

Directions to add the repository are in the "download package" link on the upper right. The commands to add the key must also be run as root or with sudo.
MX Linux packager and developer