Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Failed Install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ZooS1ne

Failed Install

#1 Post by ZooS1ne »

Hi everyione,

I have a problem that I couldn't fix for the last week.

The issue is this: I have a Windows 10 installation running on my 1TB disk. It uses 500GB (roughly), the rest is FREE SPACE. I try to install a Debian in the remaining space and every single time it fails (sometimes completly sometimes partialy).

Everything goes fine untill the partitioning phase. If I choose to go with "Guided partitioning" and use the remaining free space on the disk, it (supposedly) installs the OS but GRUB does not detect the Win10 installation.
Same happens if I do the manual pertitioning and designate a swap and root partition, GRUB fails to detect Win10.

Grub then asks if I would like it to install on the hdd (sda) and I say yes. On reboot it only loads Win10, doesn't give me the option to choose between Win and Deb.

My goal is to install Debian on the second partition and use it as an enctypted partition (required by the nature of my development). I need a step by step guide to install an encrypted Debian alongside Win10 and I want to be able to choose the OS I want to boot. Thank you in advance, you will be saving a desperate developer a lot of hair and nerves.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Failed Install

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Are you using one of the live ISO images?

These do not support UEFI booting, a netinstall image should be used instead on UEFI systems.

Also, how did you transfer the ISO image to the installation medium?

Hint: unetbootin does not work.
deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Try booting with the latest Gparted Live ISO and manually set up the partitions beforehand. The Jessie installer may not work well with the latest GPT disk layouts (just a guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
MX Linux packager and developer

ZooS1ne

#4 Post by ZooS1ne »

I used full images on a usb stick. What should I use to write the img file to the USB then?

ZooS1ne

#5 Post by ZooS1ne »

Figured it out guys...In a spur of inspiration I decided to take a closer look in my boot options for boot order devices. I failed to notice that I was given two options for my USB drives, one a standard boot and one UEFI boot. I always tried to load the standard one. Thats why GRUB always failed to install and load on startup.