Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't select SSD on ASUS BIOS boot order

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Chokocraft

Can't select SSD on ASUS BIOS boot order

#1 Post by Chokocraft »

Hello, I don't know if I'm on the right forum.

I have built my new pc this week, it's a skylake based desktop computer with:

ASUS H170 PRO GAMING
I5 6500
HDD 1TO Seagate
SSD 120 GO Samsung 750 EVO

The first time I started the computer, I go on BIOS (or UEFI ?) and I could see my USB Storage, HDD AND SSD on the boot order panel.
So I installed Debian Jessie, everything goes well I made this partition scheme :
SSD: 1 partition of 120 GO on "/";
HDD: 4 partitions, "/var", "/home", "tmp", SWAP.
And I installed GRUB2 on the ssd. After the installation the system start with no errors, but when I reboot and go on the BIOS/UEFI to configure the boot order: the SSD disappears in the boot order panel, I have only the HDD.
So I firstly think there's a problem with the installation, but if I manually say in the bios to boot on the SSD(which is detected), the system boots with no issue.

If I touch nothing, it boots on HDD, and nothing happens. It's painful to go in the BIOS, F8, select the SSD to start the system so I search for a fix. I saw some threads on internet but this is mostly boot problems and not boot order issues.

I have desactivate Fast Boot, enable the CMS. The security boot is enabled, but unloaded, I have tried to delete all the key but it recreate them after a reboot.
Here is the manual guide for the Mobo : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA ... B_only.pdf

This is the first time I build a pc and install a linux system, maybe I miss something.

Thanks in advance.

Chokocraft

Re: Can't select SSD on ASUS BIOS boot order

#2 Post by Chokocraft »

Fixed, sorry for the useless post.

It was a motherboard issue and not install, I unplug all power cable, and restart the computer, the SSD appears in ADVANCED -> BOOT -> Priority.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can't select SSD on ASUS BIOS boot order

#3 Post by sunrat »

Hehe. My new system is very similar to yours. The hardest part of installation was getting the UEFI settings correct on the mobo! :roll: :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!