Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Jessie boots to black screen on an Apple eMac

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kryptenasi

Debian Jessie boots to black screen on an Apple eMac

#1 Post by kryptenasi »

I've set up my eMac (pretty much an iMac G4 with a CRT) to dual boot OS X 10.5.8 and Debian Jessie. I select to boot into Debian from the first boot menu, type "Linux" at the second one, there's a few seconds of scrolling text and... nothing. The computer freezes at a completely blank screen. I've heard that there's a bug with Radeon graphics cards, but I'm not sure if that's entirely to blame, because I've passed some of the recommend boot parameters to resolve the issue, but none of them worked. I have no clue what's going on, as I have little experience with Debian. :? My specs are: 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 CPU, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 64MB VRAM

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: Debian Jessie boots to black screen on an Apple eMac

#2 Post by kiyop »

kryptenasi wrote:I've set up my eMac (pretty much an iMac G4 with a CRT) to dual boot OS X 10.5.8 and Debian Jessie.
Write more concretely what you did.
kryptenasi wrote:I select to boot into Debian from the first boot menu, type "Linux" at the second one, there's a few seconds of scrolling text and... nothing. The computer freezes at a completely blank screen. I've heard that there's a bug with Radeon graphics cards, but I'm not sure if that's entirely to blame, because I've passed some of the recommend boot parameters to resolve the issue, but none of them worked.
Write more concretely what you did.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by oswaldkelso »

Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

kryptenasi

#4 Post by kryptenasi »

kiyop wrote:Write more concretely what you did.
I used the OS X Disk Utility to shrink the OS X partition and create the root and swap partitions. Then in the installation CD I created a 800KB New World boot partition (or whatever it was called :lol:). It was pretty late so I went to bed and in the morning the installation finished successfully. The root partition is 33.5GB and the swap is 1.2GB. The boot parameters I tried include "radeon.agpmode=-1", "video=radeonfb". Stuff like that to try to get the graphics card working.

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#5 Post by kiyop »

Thanks for your writing some detail of what you did.
I cannot understand how you started debian installation (URL where you downloaded CD iso image and so on), but I can suggest something.
If you select recovery mode (single user mode), is some prompt displayed? Such as "login:" ?
"nomodeset" is a candidate kernel parameter.
I wonder if you give boot (kernel) parameter wrongly.
Is "grub(2)" screen displayed at boot time?
How do you give boot (kernel) parameter?

Also, read the URL suggested by oswaldkelso.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/