Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which installer to use

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kmll

Which installer to use

#1 Post by kmll »

I am new to Debian and I want to test it out. I have a T61 with a T9300 cpu but looking at the debian download site I am not sure what image I should use. Can I please ask you to advise?

Dai_trying

Re: Which installer to use

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

You say you are new to Debian, have you tried any other Linux distro's?
I only ask as you can use a specific disc if you want a specific desktop (Xfce/Lxqt/Gnome/Kde and others) or you can use the net-inst cd which is more generic and will offer you the choice during installation of which desktop you want to install and only download the packages required for that particular desktop.
Your specs would appear to be ok to run any of them although some will work better with lower resources than others. I would choose Xfce for lower spec hardware and KDE for higher spec, but you can use pretty much any one of them to test and even with higher spec machines Xfce would still be my personal choice, but it seems many people like Kde for it's "eye candy".
Bottom line is (mostly) it's down to user preference.
Almost an afterthought is you would need to choose between 32 or 64 bit architecture, I think you would need the 64 bit version although the 32 bit will also run, but if your machine is 32 bit (I don't think it is) you cannot use the 64 bit iso.

gmlox

#3 Post by gmlox »

For generic installation, the best option is to use network install..
Installation will install only basic stuff needed to boot system, but at the end of installation you will be offered options to install additional features to your liking, such ah additional tools, and desktop flavor.
For a minimal working setup I recommend LXDE desktop, which consume very little computer resources, compared to other desktops.

Since your CPU is x64, you need amd64 version of the image, on below link you need to choose amd64, from section "Small CDs or USB sticks"
Machine on which you install should be able to connect to internet, during installation, installer will provide a user interface to connect to your network.
https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

If you don't want to connect to network during installation, you'll need to download a lot bigger CD image, which will install a whole host of tools, and you'll end up with much more programs installed, and wont be able to customize your installation, I do not recommend you this option because your primary goal is to explore debian as your said.

RU55EL

#4 Post by RU55EL »

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

gmlox wrote:Since your CPU is x64, you need amd64 version of the image
I don't want to sound too pedantic, but you can use 32 bit OS on 64 bit system, I know some who prefer to use 32 bit OS as it consumes less resources, but I do understand that it is more usual to stick to the same architecture for the machine. Just saying...

gmlox

#6 Post by gmlox »

Dai_trying wrote: I know some who prefer to use 32 bit OS as it consumes less resources, but I do understand that it is more usual to stick to the same architecture for the machine
good for them, as long as they don't need to run 64 bit software...

heh... I would compare those people to programmers who prefer to spend ages "optimizing" their code in order to get 2 lines less of assembly listing :D
or maybe to 4x gamers, who prefer to focus on micromanagement in favor of tactical combat and just let the AI do the rest...