Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

installing jessie "switching to nouveaufb from VESA VGA"

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rayandrews

installing jessie "switching to nouveaufb from VESA VGA"

#1 Post by rayandrews »

Gentlemen:
Installing latest jessie, 8.6 I believe, I get the above error msg and a complete freeze. Previous installs, on other partitions, are fine with the same hardware. This is my first effort with the 'amd64' version, I've been 'i386' before now. The installer runs fine off a USB stick. I boot with LILO and adding 'append=nomodeset', it will boot, and X will run, but in very poor resolution. When I first installed, everything was fine, but I haven't done anything but move some personal files to the 'amd64' partition so God knows how I busted it. Further information available as requested.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: installing jessie "switching to nouveaufb from VESA VGA"

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

What is your hardware?

Code: Select all

lspci -knn | grep -iA2 'vga\|3d'
deadbang

rayandrews

Re: installing jessie "switching to nouveaufb from VESA VGA"

#3 Post by rayandrews »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:What is your hardware?

Code: Select all

lspci -knn | grep -iA2 'vga\|3d'
Thanks anyway Head, the situation is not recoverable, I've aborted that install, not sure if it was a kernel upgrade issue or what. And I have a more serious issue right now anyway.