Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can not install debian on pc that had ubuntu 14.04[SOLVED]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Can not install debian on pc that had ubuntu 14.04

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

koleygr wrote:But I thought that if ctrl+alt+f2 fails every other boot option would fail...
You need to press those keys *after* you see that error message.

*Do not* press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+F2 at the GRUB (boot) screen, press those keys *after* Debian has booted up and you see the "Oh no!" message.

Sorry for not being more clear originally.
deadbang

koleygr

#32 Post by koleygr »

I did that...

I pressed ctrl+alt+f2 after the error message

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

koleygr wrote:I pressed ctrl+alt+f2 after the error message
And then what happened?

Please give as much detail as you can.

I am getting bored of extracting information out of you like a dentist working with bad teeth...

:roll:
deadbang

koleygr

#34 Post by koleygr »

Sorry but I thought I was clear...
My english are not good enough but I am trying...
Sorry again.

I let it boot and it gave me the error with "Something happened"...

Then I pressed ctrl+alt+f2...
The screen turned to black for ten seconds ... and then it show again the ":("
with the message:
Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occured and the system can’t recover. Please contact a system administrator.
Sorry again if I was not clear enough.

Anyway... I desided to install ubuntu again because ubuntu 14.04 was running and the live DVD of the ubuntu 16.04 seems to work.

Thank you anyway...

I will accept your solution of installing debian 9 when released and mark the problem as solved

stevepusser

Re: Can not install debian on pc that had ubuntu 14.04[SOLVE

#35 Post by stevepusser »

You could get Debian 8 working if you are willing to follow instructions. Install the xfce or lxde desktop instead of the default GNOME 3. You can get into xfce or lxde with your limited graphics driver. Then follow Head on a Stick's guide to upgrade the kernel and Intel graphics driver stack from jessie-backports. Then you can install the GNOME 3 desktop alongside xfce if you really want it, and it should work.

None of this is new or mysterious here, your problems are clearly understood, and are expected to occur with the combination of Jessie and newer Intel graphics. The solution works if the directions are followed.
MX Linux packager and developer

koleygr

#36 Post by koleygr »

stevepusser wrote:You could get Debian 8 working if you are willing to follow instructions. Install the xfce or lxde desktop instead of the default GNOME 3. You can get into xfce or lxde with your limited graphics driver. Then follow Head on a Stick's guide to upgrade the kernel and Intel graphics driver stack from jessie-backports. Then you can install the GNOME 3 desktop alongside xfce if you really want it, and it should work.

None of this is new or mysterious here, your problems are clearly understood, and are expected to occur with the combination of Jessie and newer Intel graphics. The solution works if the directions are followed.
Thanks but I am helping my friend from skype and he doesn't know enough about linux... He is a mac user and I can not let him trying too many hours... He don't have the time for this and a new installation of debian without sure results would be a problem... he would probably move on windows ...

So we installed ubuntu 16.04 because we could test it via live DVD and we could wait safer results.

Also the problem was not the limited graphics acceleration but the missing new driver for that.
Unity worked fine for the machine... and it is not light desktop environment...

We will try in some years because I could not risk to get him disapointed from linux in general...
We are trying 3 days now without good results and I was afraid of loosing a friend of linux.

Thank you anyway...

I use debian for me and I would not change it
(with gnome on desktop and xfce on my notebook)

My problem was that I could not get a login screen to give the commands I had to give...
And this means that probably not only the gnome had failed but maybe something more than that.

Anyway... It works fine with ubuntu 16.04 (clear installation -upgrade as usually failed-)
and in some years we will try again from the same town (now we are away and I can not make much).

Thanks you all.

kedaha

#37 Post by kedaha »

The installation of Debian can be done preferably via ssh rather than using Microsoft Skype to tell a confused new user what to do.
All that is needed, once the basic system's installed and you know the internal (using ifconfig) and external IP (using telnet or whatever) numbers is to open the ssh port in the router, login to the system, su to root and continue setting up and configuring it.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

koleygr

#38 Post by koleygr »

kedaha wrote:The installation of Debian can be done preferably via ssh rather than using Microsoft Skype to tell a confused new user what to do.
All that is needed, once the basic system's installed and you know the internal (using ifconfig) and external IP (using telnet or whatever) numbers is to open the ssh port in the router, login to the system, su to root and continue setting up and configuring it.
Thank you for the information... I didn't knew about that.. But we could not even login to the debian...

I will keep ot in mind for future use even if I have to learn enough stuff till then.

Bye