Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

after install 8.7.1,is not booting

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
apollokillers1

after install 8.7.1,is not booting

#1 Post by apollokillers1 »

well,i've tried 10 times already to make it load,but nothing,no luck at all,all run and install normal,it reboots and grub appear,the linux starts....i see there the 2 lines : to wait and the next 1 with the files and blocks line,there is where it gets stuck,i tried to reboot and start again...i get a few more lines that something was not well unmounted and is trying to clean some dirty things,no idea...i couldn'make it run at all
i have an i5,uefi boot pc with 3 gpt hdds,8 gb ram,gforce gtx 750 ti and only windows on the first hdd,what i used to install first time was the netinstaller,after the fifth try,i got the dvd iso,both put on a usb stick,burned with rosa imagewriter,so,is there any way to make the linux start up ?
both isos that i used were taken from the official page of Debian website

stevepusser

Re: after install 8.7.1,is not booting

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Do you have Windows 10? By default, it really doesn't do a real shutdown when you tell it to--instead it hibernates. When Linux tries to access a disk that Windows has hibernated on, you will get that message about it being "dirty" and that it can't be mounted as read-write--otherwise, it just may be a damaged partition.

To help us--what is your planned disk and partion layout for dual boot?
How do you have Secure Boot and UEFI in your computer setup?
MX Linux packager and developer

apollokillers1

#3 Post by apollokillers1 »

is not my first time installing windows and linux in dualboot,the first thing i do in windows is to take off that fastrestart thing,not to have windows have a hook on my hdds,i have stuff there to install and copy in linux,yes,it is windows 10,i gave up trying to install it,right now i have KDE Neon,Chakra linux,Antergos,OpenSuse leap,Mageia,Maui aside with windows 10,all work fine without a problem,the only problem was Debian 8.7.1 that didn't wanted to start at all,i can't give u any error or log of an error coz i couldn't get in it to find out about any,so,no idea why didn't wanted to start at all,was just freezin there at the beggining,no matter how many times i was rebootin my pc,was just getting stuck at that point

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

http://wiki.rosalab.com/en/index.php/ROSA_ImageWriter
ROSA ImageWriter is a program for writing ROSA installation image to a flash disk.
Maybe it's this? try the debian way, it's on the debian.org page where you get the install media.
Last edited by bw123 on 2017-02-15 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

apollokillers1

#5 Post by apollokillers1 »

about the secure boot,was first time enabled,the grub was loading fine and in the boot was showin ok debian,i did it with that disabled and i got in the same thing,nothing changed,the first hdd,(sda) it is a ssd and i have the windows 10 installed on that 1,as uefi install,the second hdd is a hdd of 2 tb,be4 i installed the Debian,i had it completly empty,even without format it and without creating a partition,i let linux do that,i didn't chosed the sda efi partition coz linux did recognised it,so i just made the ext4 partition and the swap partition,nothing else,the 3rd hdd,is a hdd of 1 tb that only it has a ntfs partition on it,i have my stuff on that,so...with what else can i help ?

apollokillers1

#6 Post by apollokillers1 »

apollokillers1 wrote:about the secure boot,was first time enabled,the grub was loading fine and in the boot was showin ok debian,i did it with that disabled and i got in the same thing,nothing changed,the first hdd,(sda) it is a ssd and i have the windows 10 installed on that 1,as uefi install,the second hdd is a hdd of 2 tb,be4 i installed the Debian,i had it completly empty,even without format it and without creating a partition,i let linux do that,i didn't chosed the sda efi partition coz linux did recognised it,so i just made the ext4 partition and the swap partition,nothing else,the 3rd hdd,is a hdd of 1 tb that only it has a ntfs partition on it,i have my stuff on that,so...with what else can i help ?
rosa image writer is a program exactly like opensuse image writer that is part of many distros,and rosa is recomended by many distros to write their isos on usb flash drives,so i doubt that is the problem

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

https://www.debian.org/CD/
In case of problems, please check the FAQ about Debian CDs.
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

apollokillers1

#8 Post by apollokillers1 »

ok,lets say that rosa was the problem in the case of the dvd iso image,how about the netinstaller ? i try it too and i got in the same problem,so i doubt in any way that is my pc,as i said,i have many distros now installed on my pc with windows and all work fine

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

There's no need to be defensive about it. By following the debian way, you can eliminate a 'possible' variable from the list of 'possible' culprits.

Just try it, if I'm wrong we eliminate a wildcard from the deck.

p.s. don't forget stevepussers asked info about the partition layout (# fdisk -l) and other info, okay?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

And since Debian 8 has a 3.16 kernel dating back to 2014, it now often has problems with new Intel hardware released since then. If your machine came with Windows 10, that may well be the case. There is a backports repository for Debian 8 with package upgrades that can usually get it working on newer machines, but if you can't even boot, Debian Stretch might be your best bet.

apollokillers1

#11 Post by apollokillers1 »

well,it is a newer machine,it didn't came with windows 10,i made this pc buyin every part of it separately,and yes,the kernel must be the real issue,i did tryed the debian 9 rc2 dvd iso,it all worked like a charm,installed,i login and all worked normal,but the kernel was 4.9.0 i believe,so i hope u really think of gettin a newer kernel in the 8.7.2 maybe,coz is not working at all,i get in the same screen at the beggining and where it stops,so i guess i won't be installing and using this version til the kernel is updated to a newer (higher version) to actually boot on my machine,so pitty,i didn't stay with the rc2 installed coz i got to find out that the repo is kinda empty,could not find the most important app for me,the synaptic,besides that did got into some problems too,i had to strugle to delete the entry for the cdrom installation when it search for updates,and that in the discovery settings,but all ok coz ik that it's just a rc,not a final

phenest

#12 Post by phenest »

apollokillers1 wrote:well,i've tried 10 times already to make it load,but nothing,no luck at all,all run and install normal,it reboots and grub appear,the linux starts....i see there the 2 lines : to wait and the next 1 with the files and blocks line,there is where it gets stuck,
Stuck how? Do you mean a blank screen? No graphical desktop? No command prompt?
apollokillers1 wrote:i tried to reboot and start again...i get a few more lines that something was not well unmounted and is trying to clean some dirty things,no idea...i couldn'make it run at all
If you had done a hard shutdown due to being "stuck", that message is normal.
apollokillers1 wrote:i have an i5,uefi boot pc with 3 gpt hdds,8 gb ram,gforce gtx 750 ti and only windows on the first hdd,
If you seeing nothing but a blank screen, or command prompt, maybe the nVidia/Nouveau driver is not being started.
apollokillers1 wrote:what i used to install first time was the netinstaller,after the fifth try,i got the dvd iso,both put on a usb stick,burned with rosa imagewriter,so,is there any way to make the linux start up ?
both isos that i used were taken from the official page of Debian website
It sounds like the disc you burned is ok, or you wouldn't have got as far as you did.

Could I ask, do other Linux distros work ok? Do Ubuntu or LinuxMint live images start properly?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

apollokillers1

#13 Post by apollokillers1 »

ok,lets see,as i said,not a black screen,to get to a black screen it should have at least started to load til the graphic driver,but it didn't got that far,after seen on the screen the first 2 line that every1 see when it starts to load ,the pls wait and the other line with the dunno how many files and dunno how many blocks,those 2 lines u can see them no matter what distro u use,at that exactly point,the pc get stuck,it just freez there on that screen,i did waited for more than 15 min hopping it will go,but it didn't,yes,that button reset did the second problem,i can imagine that it just didn't unmounted the partition and it was doing that,but there stoped too,after the a few more lines,but always be4 starting to actaully load anything,that is just mounting something i guess and is where all is game over and i can better tell that by just watching that command promt line that it just freeze,not blinking anymore
yes,all the other distros i am using are just fain,all working like a charm,no problems at all,no freez,no long time booting,nothing bad
but i do guess that must be the kernel,coz as far as i could try,the last iso of the Debian 9 rc2 dvd iso,worked fine,i got into it,did worked as all the other distros that i have on,other that that,i have no idea why is not working at all

apollokillers1

#14 Post by apollokillers1 »

i have an idea,it is possible to somehow put the kernel from the Debian 9 rc2 DVD iso into this 8.7.1 DVD iso version ? it would make Debian run on my machine,or can i somehow after installing the 8.7.1,from another distro to copy into the Debian partition that kernel ?
it is an idea only,even though i am not an expert,not even medium user,but if it's possible,can i have a "how to" steps for just doing that ?

phenest

#15 Post by phenest »

What happens if you install without a desktop environment? Do you get to a login prompt?

apollokillers1

#16 Post by apollokillers1 »

what does it matter if i install a DE or not ? the kernel is not loading,means that my machine not gonna ever boot this linux on that old kernel,it is clear that that old kernel don't "know" the parts in my system,so is no point of trying that or that,the only option i have,the way i see it,is to stick with debian rc2,as it is workin and is booting alright,is working fine and i can use it,even tho i did had to search a lot in internet how the hell to install nvidia drives on that stretch,it is kinda complicated,wish that hat part at least to be easier in the final product

phenest

#17 Post by phenest »

You asked for help, yes? It's not wise to dismiss ideas when you have none of your own.

By installing without a DE, you can determine whether it's a kernel problem or a video driver problem.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

There aren't any Debian 8 ISO images that have a kernel newer than the stock 3.16. I help with a Debian 8-based Debian derivative that updated the kernel to 4.7 on the 64-bit image (along with other packages) for this reason specifically to support more recent hardware. It's MX-16 Linux. I suppose you can also find more Debian Jessie-based distros with upgraded kernels if you hunt around, but they are not "true Debian", of course.

phenest

#19 Post by phenest »

apollokillers1 wrote:it reboots and grub appear,the linux starts....i see there the 2 lines : to wait and the next 1 with the files and blocks line
That's all I get on my Dell laptop. Of course mine proceeds to a desktop whereas yours doesn't. What I'm trying to say is the output you're seeing is correct, but it's struggling to start X.

But if you've seen GRUB and Linux starts, then it IS booting and not necessarily a kernel issue. But if there's a problem with the video driver then X won't start which could explain what you're seeing. Maybe the nouveau drivers don't fully support your nVidia 750Ti.
apollokillers1 wrote:there is where it gets stuck.
Can you switch to a console at this point to get a login prompt? If so, perhaps blacklist the nouveau driver so X reverts to a generic VESA driver. Then you should be able to get to a desktop.