Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch RC2 install on XPS 9360

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Breignstorm

Stretch RC2 install on XPS 9360

#1 Post by Breignstorm »

Hello Debian forums. I have been a user for a long time but have never had to ask anything personally. I have found many solutions on this forum without the need to post. I am having some trouble with the installer on my new XPS. I have tried almost all of the available images and have prepared my bootable USB every way I know how (I have used DD, I have tried the OpenSuse image writer on my other laptop, I created the USB with Rufus on windows a couple times using both the DD and ISO options) but the installer never gets past detecting and mounting CD rom (XPS is an ultrabook and has no physical drive). The installer simply says that the install has failed after it is unable to locate a cd rom. I tried to manually mount the image to /cdrom when in the installer as I saw in some older posts but it fails each time. I tried the following command in a terminal in the installer: mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /cdrom, but it fails.

I have changed UEFI options as instructed (disable secure boot, changed from RAID to AHCI) in the wiki. I read another post that said that unplugging the usb key and plugging it back in during the hardware probing may allow the installer to locate it. This did not work either. Am I missing something here? I am currently using the ISO that has the non oss firmware (I require it for my wifi to work during the install since the computer has no ethernet port) but I have tried all of the other images for testing and the Stretch release candidates. I'm out of ideas and all the information I can find is very old (some posts as old as 7 years) or involves problems with unetbootin which I am not using.

I'm probably just doing something dumb but my efforts to install other distros on the system have failed similarly. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stretch RC2 install on XPS 9360

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Does the stable installer work?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Breignstorm

#3 Post by Breignstorm »

I have tried the installer for stable as well. The installer fails to find a CDRom and quits the setup. Identical results to the stretch installer and the testing snapshot ISOs.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...