Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issue:HDD not detecting withWheezy OS installation.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rajesh_alef

Issue:HDD not detecting withWheezy OS installation.

#1 Post by rajesh_alef »

Please help me, I got stuck and unable to install Debian Wheezy 7.4 on new Dell Hardware PE R630 having PERC H330 raid controllers.

Issue: HDD not detecting while OS installation.

I am using Raid controller for Raid1. Looks like PERC H330/730 controller driver is not there in this iso bundle, please suggest and provide me right drivers and steps to resolve this.

The various firmware versions used in this PE 630 are as follows:--

BIOS 2.3.4
BP13G+ 0:1 2.23
Dell 32 Bit uEFI Diagnostics, version 4239, 4239A33, 4239.41 4239A33
Dell OS Driver Pack, 16.10.10, A00 16.10.10
Disk 2 in Backplane 1 of Integrated Raid Controller 1 DM06
Disk 4 in Backplane 1 of Integrated Raid Controller 1 DM06
Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 2.40.40.40
NIC1 17.5.10
NIC2 17.5.10
NIC3 17.5.10
NIC4 17.5.10
NIC5 17.5.10
NIC6 17.5.10
NIC7 17.5.10
NIC8 17.5.10
Lifecycle Controller 2.40.40.40
OS COLLECTOR 2.1, A00 2.1
PERC H330 Mini 25.5.9.0019
PERC S130 Controller 4.2.0-0009
PowerSupply.Slot.1 04.08.23
PowerSupply.Slot.2 04.08.23
System CPLD 1.0.1

Please provide me suitable drivers and guide me to resolve this.

Info: Debian Jessie is getting installed properly.

Thanks

edbarx

Re: Issue:HDD not detecting withWheezy OS installation.

#2 Post by edbarx »

Unix-like operating systems like Linux, are completely different than MS Windows. To upgrade a driver it is better to get a backported Linux kernel. However, your question indicates you are setting up a server which should require stricter security. Wheezy is now Old Stable implying you may not get security updates for a justifiable time duration.

I think, you can circumvent your problem by installing through debootstrap and a chroot. That way, you should be able to install a recent kernel from backports that properly supports your hardware. Needless to state the obvious, if your hardware is recent, the only solution is to use recent kernels. Simply, do not expect old kernels to support hardware that came on the market after they were released.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

If Jessie supports the hardware out of the box, is there a reason why you need the older Wheezy version instead?
MX Linux packager and developer

rajesh_alef

#4 Post by rajesh_alef »

Yes, there is some dependencies of our applications, which is tested and validated with wheezy.

Please suggest me the proper driver for RAID controllers.

buzzin

#5 Post by buzzin »

Is the RAID array not seen or is nothing seen?

My previous experience with Dell RAID controllers varies a bit, some show the individual disk and some work as expected.
The ones that show the individual disks: Don't bother with the RAID in de controller, use software raid. (It's software raid anyway, as these are 'fake raid' controllers)

Having said all that: Dell did use to make specific driver/tools voor debian, so perhaps that page might contain the driver you need.
(from the debian wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Dell)
Sysadmin/KDE user

phenest

#6 Post by phenest »

I had this issue. I tried a LinuxMint live CD and the HDD was detected fine. It turned out that Debian had not loaded a RAID driver at installation, whereas LinuxMint did. I'm not using RAID any longer and I can't remember how I did it, but the RAID module needs to be loaded to detect the HDD.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Wheezy-backports has the same 3.16 kernel as Jessie, so maybe that would get the RAID up and working. Is there some way to install Wheezy on a single disk in that machine, upgrade the kernel, and then add the RAID?

It looks like Dell provides Linux Firmware for Red Hat for that device, maybe that will work in Debian. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erId=DVMPC

They also provide a driver for it, but it's in rpm format. It's also open source and they provide the source in rpm format, so it might be possible to extract that and do a manual build and install. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erId=J8RFH

Maybe Ubuntu users have already tackled the issue of getting the driver working...but it probably also works out of the box on Ubuntu, too.
MX Linux packager and developer

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by steve_v »

stevepusser wrote:Wheezy-backports has the same 3.16 kernel as Jessie, so maybe that would get the RAID up and working. Is there some way to install Wheezy on a single disk in that machine, upgrade the kernel, and then add the RAID?
I've done this with softraid, it should also be possible with hardware raid - assuming you have a spare disk for the initial install or the raid controller can create an array with a missing disk, then add it later.
Or one could install with deboostrap from something that has the driver, and install the backports kernel via chroot.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.