Linux reports larger disk size than reality: advice, please

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: Linux reports larger disk size than reality: advice, ple

Postby cpoakes » 2017-03-06 01:08

dasein wrote:
cpoakes wrote:If these report 40GB, then with a high degree of certainty you have a 40GB device being used as a 10GB device

Only if someone upgraded the HDD after-the-fact. A quick glance at the spec sheet for the Thinkpad 570E shows that the factory-original HDD is indeed 12GB.

And of course, no one ever makes a mistake. If a 40GB device got mistakenly imaged at the factory with an image designed for a 12GB drive, it would act like a 12GB drive until someone paid attention to the actual capacity (like when they were installing a new OS). Trust the published spec sheet over the specs pulled from the flash ROM on the actual drive? Good luck with that.

If smartctl reports 40GB, then 1) it is a 40GB drive, 2) the 12GB drive was incorrectly mated with a 40GB controller, or 3) the flash ROM on the controller board has been mistakenly or maliciously flashed with the wrong version. In any case, it needs a confirmation. As I said, use the smartctl test or even a simple dd write and read to the device beyond the 12GB boundary and check for errors.
cpoakes

Re: Linux reports larger disk size than reality: advice, ple

Postby dasein » 2017-03-06 04:08

cpoakes wrote:And of course, no one ever makes a mistake. If a 40GB device got mistakenly imaged at the factory with an image designed for a 12GB drive, it would act like a 12GB drive until someone paid attention to the actual capacity

Which is why I suggested fdisk output. I'm happy to take that result as definitive.

cpoakes wrote:Trust the published spec sheet over the specs pulled from the flash ROM on the actual drive?

Which I never said. Straw man much?

dasein

Previous

Return to Installation