Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No GUI after Installation of Sarge NVIDIA Graphics Card

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jonesypeter

No GUI after Installation of Sarge NVIDIA Graphics Card

#1 Post by jonesypeter »

Hi,

I am moving from Fedora to Debian Sarge. I have an AMD Athlon 1800, with an Nvidia Gforce Ti 4200 64MB Graphics Card. I am installing from DVD.

The 1st bit of Installation goes fine, I reboot answer the questions and go for Desktop system, I configure the mouse etc. I am then asked about graphics. I pick NV, but have also tried VGA and VESA. I choose simple and pick 17" for my Phillips 107E monitor. When installation is finished, I just get a blank screen and nothing else (No prompt or anything, as if it has hung)! One of the last commands I see on screen before the black screen of doom is 'starting MTA' which seems to take about 30seconds.

I have a Belkin USB Keyboard and Mouse if this makes any difference?

My PC has two hard disks installed. 80GB for Windows XP, and 40GB for Linux. GRUB installs fine.

What am I doing wrong?

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks

Peter Jones
Bognor Regis
Last edited by jonesypeter on 2005-08-07 08:42, edited 2 times in total.

#2 Post by Guest »

startx?

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

# dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-common
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

When asked to configure the monitor, choose "medium" (I think that's what it's called) rather than "simple." "Medium" will let you pick the resolution and scan rate. I suspect that "simple" might be setting the resolution too high.