Install to USB gives Disk Boot Failure?

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Install to USB gives Disk Boot Failure?

Postby ptmuldoon » 2017-03-12 01:29

I've been trying to install Debian onto a USB stick that I can boot and make portable to take with me and boot/use on multiple machines. But each time I have tried, after the installation completes I get a Disk Boot Failure Error.

The steps I have I taken are as follows.

1. Downloaded a Live Debian ISO and installed that to a USB device with Rufus.
2. Booted that USB device.
3. With the Live Debian, Choose install to a second/different USB.
4. Manually Set Partitions and GRUB to be installed onto the second/different USB.

The installation appears to go 'fine' with no errors. Yet when I restart the machine and attempt to boot from the USB device, I keep getting 'Disk Boot Failure'. I have also tried by using a normal non-live CD image with Rufus as well.

And I have tried installing Debian on two different USB sticks and get the same error. And I can follow the same steps above and works when installing Mint Linux, Zorin, and few others. So I have ruled out any issue with the USB sticks and I have tried with different Debian ISO images with Rufus as well and get the same error after installing. Yet the same steps work with other OS as well.

Is there a step or trick I'm missing in installing Debian onto a USB?
ptmuldoon

Re: Install to USB gives Disk Boot Failure?

Postby debiman » 2017-03-12 07:24

i remember this, and there was a solution. i think it involved:
a) explicitely install grub to the usb drive
b) edit the grub.cfg to change the UUIDs

BUT:
even if you succeed, it will be slooooow!
what you really need is live usb with persistence.
debiman

Postby ptmuldoon » 2017-03-12 13:30

Thanks.

I will that and try and report back on the results.

Step 1 is already done. GRUB is/was installed to the USB device.

I am installing onto a USB3 device as well, and so far Zorin and Mint seemed pretty quick on it. But would prefer to try out Debian along with VMWare view-client installed and see how it works out.
ptmuldoon

Postby ptmuldoon » 2017-03-14 10:21

Well, I booted with Live Debian and then looked at the UUIDs within the grub.cfg and Fstab of my USB device and the UUIDs I see there matched the UUID of the device. So now I'm back to the beginning on why I'm getting a boot failure after installing to a USB device.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what to look for?
ptmuldoon

Postby ptmuldoon » 2017-03-17 14:50

I'm going to give this another shot later tonight and wonder if anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations?

Again, if you read the top post. I can install Mint, Zorin a few others fine from Live Image onto a USB stick. Yet when trying to install Debian, I get a disk boot failure.

So I install or 'burn' a live image with Rufus and then boot that USB device with no issue. Then insert a 2nd USB device to install to onto. The install proceeds with no issues, and have installed Grub on that USB device as well. Yet on a reboot that 2nd USB device throws the error. And have tried with multiple USB sticks and on different PCs

Any suggestions on what to look for/at?

Thanks
PT
ptmuldoon

Return to Installation