Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Live ISO runs but Debian 8 won't install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
RonCJr

Live ISO runs but Debian 8 won't install

#1 Post by RonCJr »

I am trying to install Debian 8 Jessie on a Toshiba C855D S5320. I tried with the full Debian DVD but it would freeze at detecting network hardware. Tried to install by skipping network hardware detection and it freezes at detect disk. The DVD is good and the install has been successful on other computers so I decided to burn the live KDE image and try it.

Now, I can run Debian 8 KDE on the Toshiba with the live disc but and it runs very well. It finds my ethernet connection and everything is smooth, until I try to install and then I still get the same results as with the full DVD. The install freezes at detecting network hardware or detecting disk. Anybody have any ideas as to how I can get around this, or why it will run from the live disk but will not install? I need help. I am very new to Debian but hoping to learn about it and enjoy it.

Bulkley

Re: Live ISO runs but Debian 8 won't install

#2 Post by Bulkley »

It looks like a computer problem, not the software. I think you have something new in the BIOS. Sorry, I can't remember the acronym to look for. This subject comes up occasionally so you can probably find the answers by searching the forum.

RonCJr

#3 Post by RonCJr »

Thanks, could it be something to do with the UEFI?

RonCJr

#4 Post by RonCJr »

Does anyone have any ideas on this? If I installed Debian on the hardrive using another computer and then placed the drive back into the original computer, would that work? As I said, the live disk works on this computer so the system can run.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

There are dozens of similar topics here. A few ideas:
- Live ISO is not installable in UEFI mode
- I assume this is a Windows PC. Did you disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot?

Some of the official documentation may help:
- https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/
- https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... installer/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

RonCJr

#6 Post by RonCJr »

As I said in the original post, I tried the full Debian ISO disk first, then the live disk. Neither will load. I will check and see if the secure boot and fast boot are disabled.

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

RonCJr wrote:The DVD is good
And you know this how exactly? That is to say, specify the steps you performed to ensure the integrity both of the .iso file and the medium after you'd burned it.
RonCJr wrote:... and the install has been successful on other computers so I decided to burn the live KDE image and try it.
Maybe I'm mishearing, but this sounds like you had success installing a different .iso (possibly using a different medium?), neither of which is relevant. If I'm hearing right, then see the question about integrity verification, above.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

RonCJr wrote:If I installed Debian on the hardrive using another computer and then placed the drive back into the original computer, would that work? As I said, the live disk works on this computer so the system can run.
There's an easy way to check. Try moving one of your harddrives to this computer and try to boot up. My suspicion is that UEFI is causing you problems.

dasein's comments about iso integrity are worth following up. One of the major problems in troubleshooting is the "It can't be that" decision. Once that idea is in your head you can set yourself up for eternal frustration.