Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

reinstall/reconfigure GRUB for a new OS

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
mzimmers

Re: reinstall/reconfigure GRUB for a new OS

#46 Post by mzimmers »

Thanks for the information, guys. This is quite a learning experience, but I'm grateful for all the help. I've posted in the ASRock forum about disabling legacy boot, as I couldn't find mention of it in my owners manual nor online (specific to ASRock). I'm a little concerned that such a feature may not exist on my board (the firmware is described as "64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS" in the manual), but hopefully I'll know more soon.

Dai_trying

#47 Post by Dai_trying »

It might be something like enable CSM in your bios.

mzimmers

#48 Post by mzimmers »

Dai_trying wrote:It might be something like enable CSM in your bios.
Indeed it was. Thanks...I guess I'll try reinstalling now. I think I'll do Debian first, and then Windows. That'll make it easier for me to format the Windows drive. Back in a while...

GarryRicketson

#49 Post by GarryRicketson »

by mzimmers » I think I'll do Debian first, and then Windows. That'll make it easier for me to format the Windows drive. Back in a while...
I think you need to do some research first, I don't use windows, and never install it on my hardware. But I did do some experiments, and also based on research,
I found that one can not install windows, without destroying the other partitions,
Windows must be installed first, then the partition resized, a new one created, and
Debian, or what ever installed to the new partition.
In any event , when it comes to the MS windows, I don't know anything, except that everything works better with out it.
But what ever, good luck, do what you want.

mzimmers

#50 Post by mzimmers »

Hi, Garry -

Thanks for the post. I'm installing Windows on a separate disk, so I think I'm OK. I guess we'll see, though...

GarryRicketson

#51 Post by GarryRicketson »

Oops, Ok, well that is a different ball game, I thought you ment on
the same HD, (disk),... sorry

phenest

#52 Post by phenest »

GarryRicketson wrote:In any event , when it comes to the MS windows, I don't know anything,
That much is clear. That was some very misguided advice.
GarryRicketson wrote:I think you need to do some research first
Shame you didn't this thread fully.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

mzimmers

#53 Post by mzimmers »

Status report:

1. I've installed Debian (including grub-efi) successfully, and all is good in that world.
2. When I try to boot from my Windows installation DVD with CSM disabled, it hangs. If I re-enable CSM, it works, but I'm concerned that if I install, it won't create GPT partitions. My plan is to use gparted to create the partitions first, then install, then disable CSM again. Does this have a chance of working?

If I go this route, my intention is to use this as a partitioning guide:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... igurations

It brings up a couple of questions, though. Do I still need a System partition (since I have an ESP on my Debian disk already), or is this liable to cause confusion for GRUB?

Thanks...

phenest

#54 Post by phenest »

Both Debian and Windows installers check your BIOS to see whether you're using UEFI booting or not. If you are, it will create GPT, and if not, it will create MBR.

Don't use gparted. Let Windows do it itself.

If you've installed Debian first, Windows will auto detect the ESP on the Debian drive and use that. If you don't want it to use the Debian one, disconnect the Debian drive before proceeding, and Windows will create a new one on the Windows drive.

EDIT: It's completely normal for multiple OS's to share one ESP. That's part of its design.

mzimmers

#55 Post by mzimmers »

I think we're getting somewhere. Current status is:
  • both drives formatted for GPT
  • Windows installed on /dev/sda; Debian o /dev/sdb
  • grub-efi installed and seems to be (sort of) working
So this is really good news, and definite progress.

I say "sort of" above because the behavior isn't yet quite what I wanted all along. When CSM mode is disabled, Windows doesn't start up correctly -- I get "an error occurred while attempted to read the boot configuration data." Does this mean that Windows doesn't know about the GRUB information on the Debian disk?

And, when CSM mode is enabled, I don't get the GRUB menu. I can still boot Debian, but I have to use the UEFI boot menu.

Phenest: is it at long last time for me to run the commands you gave me on the first page?

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sdb1 /boot/efi
apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi
grub-install /dev/sdb
update-grub
exit
Thank you...this is very encouraging.

phenest

#56 Post by phenest »

mzimmers wrote:
    When CSM mode is disabled, Windows doesn't start up correctly
Why did you change the CSM setting after formatting?

All you have to do is disable CSM in the BIOS. Install Debian and install Windows (or whichever order you want). GPT will automatically be used because CSM is disabled in the BIOS.

There is no need for you to select GPT or MBR manually because the installers check the BIOS and select the appropriate type for you.

phenest

#57 Post by phenest »

mzimmers wrote:

Phenest: is it at long last time for me to run the commands you gave me on the first page?
That was to fix your broken system. But now that you've reformatted the drives, there's nothing to fix.

mzimmers

#58 Post by mzimmers »

phenest wrote: Why did you change the CSM setting after formatting?

All you have to do is disable CSM in the BIOS. Install Debian and install Windows (or whichever order you want). GPT will automatically be used because CSM is disabled in the BIOS.

There is no need for you to select GPT or MBR manually because the installers check the BIOS and select the appropriate type for you.
The Windows installation freezes when have CSM disabled. The only way I can install is to re-enable it.

phenest

#59 Post by phenest »

Are you installing Windows 64bit? And is it an MS disc?

mzimmers

#60 Post by mzimmers »

phenest wrote:Are you installing Windows 64bit? And is it an MS disc?
Yes, it's 64-bit and I believe it's a genuine MS disk. My sysAdmin at a former employer gave it to me years ago.
It's white with black print, Windows 7 Professional, includes service pack 1. It does say "Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC."

And it works just fine when I install with CSM enabled.
Last edited by mzimmers on 2017-04-11 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

phenest

#61 Post by phenest »

At what point does the installation freeze?

mzimmers

#62 Post by mzimmers »

phenest wrote:At what point does the installation freeze?
After the progress bar for "Windows is loading files..." and when it says "Starting Windows." The animation where the four colored panes come together is just starting to appear.

Dai_trying

#63 Post by Dai_trying »

This web page might help you to get Windows installed in UEFI mode, it was the first result of a google search for "windows 7 installation iso uefi" :D

Or this link from one of the posts

phenest

#64 Post by phenest »

I just tried a Windows 7 64bit ISO in a VM that is UEFI enabled and got the same problem. This is a Windows issue and is probably beyond the scope of this forum. But I am still going to look for an answer. If there is one.

Dai_trying

#65 Post by Dai_trying »

If you used Virtualbox it has issues with Windows UEFI (stated in virtualbox docs) so cannot be relied on for testing UEFI and Windows (all versions)