Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

reinstall/reconfigure GRUB for a new OS

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
mzimmers

Re: reinstall/reconfigure GRUB for a new OS

#31 Post by mzimmers »

phenest wrote:
mzimmers wrote:When I execute the first command, I get this:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
mount: mount point /boot/efi does not exist
#
Because you're getting your drives mixed up.

Debian > /dev/sdb
Windows > /dev/sda

So...

mount /dev/sdb1 /boot/efi
So, the complete sequence would be:

apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
Is this what you're saying?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#32 Post by sunrat »

phenest wrote:
mzimmers wrote:When I execute the first command, I get this:

mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
mount: mount point /boot/efi does not exist
#
Because you're getting your drives mixed up.

Debian > /dev/sdb
Windows > /dev/sda

So...

This is getting more confusing. Are we not trying to load Debian from the Windows ESP - sda1? Would this not require mounting ESP to /boot/efi on sdb1, the Debian partition? This would fail because /boot/efi has not been created yet if grub-efi is not installed.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Dai_trying

#33 Post by Dai_trying »

mzimmers wrote:I was thinking of this, too. As an intermediate step, how does this sound:

1. uninstall all grub and grub-efi from my Debian disk
2. tar the Debian disk to a flash drive
3. wipe the Windows disk clean
4. wipe the Debian disk clean
5. re-install Windows
6. restore the tar to the new Debian disk
7. install grub-efi

This way, I won't have to reinstall and rebuild some things on Debian. I don't have much data on the Windows disk that I need to save.
I'm not an expert so I cannot say for sure, but I would think you might still have similar issues as your debian install was not done "properly" as UEFI, if you re-install both OS's (as UEFI) there would be a more pristine setup from which you would have less issues.

I understand you would not want to go through the time consuming process of building some packages, but I would see it as the lesser of the two evils, start with a freshly and correctly installed system and it should lead to everything else becoming less fraught with errors that may (or may not) be connected to something you have done to try and get the system working correctly.

I'm only saying what I would do and there are people posting advice in this thread that have far more experience than myself, so you would have to do what you are happiest with.=)

HTH

phenest

#34 Post by phenest »

It depends on what you mean by this...
mzimmers wrote:2. tar the Debian disk to a flash drive
... and this ...
mzimmers wrote:6. restore the tar to the new Debian disk
Are you referring to files or partitions or the whole disc?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

mzimmers

#35 Post by mzimmers »

Dai: I suppose you're right. At this point, the system feels rather "grubby," and it's probably better to take my medicine and redo it. Is there any point to pre-formatting either disk, or should I let this happen during the installation?

Phenest: I was referring to the entire drive. That was why I mentioned clearing out GRUB first, to prevent any artifacts from being carried forward.

Dai_trying

#36 Post by Dai_trying »

I usually re-format the drives and then do the installation (just in case) but I'm not really sure it would make a difference, it's just what I am used to doing.

mzimmers

#37 Post by mzimmers »

Dai_trying wrote:I usually re-format the drives and then do the installation (just in case) but I'm not really sure it would make a difference, it's just what I am used to doing.
What do you use to do the formatting? Obviously it can't be anything on your system disk. Can I do it from my installation flash drive?

Dai_trying

#38 Post by Dai_trying »

I usually use live-cd's for installation so I have the tools I need to change anything before I commit to disk and would use it to make any changes. You can use any of the live-cd's from the Debian live-cd collection, I usually have the Xfce one on a thumb drive in case something goes wrong with my systems. The standard iso is only 417 Mb download in case you have bandwidth restrictions, but it has no DE so everything would have to be done via CLI.

phenest

#39 Post by phenest »

mzimmers wrote:Phenest: I was referring to the entire drive. That was why I mentioned clearing out GRUB first, to prevent any artifacts from being carried forward.
That won't work. You going to partition the Debian disc as GPT which means your backup will be incompatible.
Dai_trying wrote:I usually re-format the drives and then do the installation (just in case) but I'm not really sure it would make a difference, it's just what I am used to doing.
In case of what?
mzimmers wrote:What do you use to do the formatting? Obviously it can't be anything on your system disk. Can I do it from my installation flash drive?
Might as well do it from the installer then. You don't save any time by pre-formatting. Formatting is done by "quick" formatting. This means that it doesn't zero the drive as it formats so it's a pretty quick process.. The same thing happens with a Windows installer.

mzimmers

#40 Post by mzimmers »

Here's where I am at present: I re-installed both Windows and Debian, but now both drives show partitioning for MBR. Evidently my installations overwrote the formatting I'd done before. I guess I have two questions at this point:

1. is there a bootable utility that will allow me to format both drives for GPTs?
2. what am I doing during the installations that is causing these drives to be reformatted?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#41 Post by sunrat »

Dai_trying wrote:I usually use live-cd's for installation so I have the tools I need to change anything before I commit to disk and would use it to make any changes.
Last I heard, live CDs won't install in UEFI mode. Has this changed?
mzimmers wrote:Here's where I am at present: I re-installed both Windows and Debian, but now both drives show partitioning for MBR. Evidently my installations overwrote the formatting I'd done before. I guess I have two questions at this point:

1. is there a bootable utility that will allow me to format both drives for GPTs?
Gparted will do it. You probably need to rewrite the partition table - Device - Create Partition table. Disk needs to be empty to do this ie. no partitions. http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name ... tion-table
2. what am I doing during the installations that is causing these drives to be reformatted?
Use Manual Partitioning in the installer to choose not to format. I usually just use the installer to create and format.
Last time I installed Win 10, I'm pretty sure it created GPT partition table and GPT partitions. Then I shrunk it to make space for Debian and other Linux installs. I prefer to install all OSs on one disk with other disks just for data.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Dai_trying

#42 Post by Dai_trying »

phenest wrote:
In case of what?
In case any remnants of previous installation have any effect on fresh one, it's just a step I take, I didn't say it was for any particular reason.

Dai_trying

#43 Post by Dai_trying »

sunrat wrote:
Dai_trying wrote:I usually use live-cd's for installation so I have the tools I need to change anything before I commit to disk and would use it to make any changes.
Last I heard, live CDs won't install in UEFI mode. Has this changed?
Sorry this may be true, I can recall having to fudge a Live-CD using some advice here in the forum to get it booting in UEFI mode but thought it would have been sorted by now, my bad!

Dai_trying

#44 Post by Dai_trying »

mzimmers wrote:Here's where I am at present: I re-installed both Windows and Debian, but now both drives show partitioning for MBR. Evidently my installations overwrote the formatting I'd done before. I guess I have two questions at this point:

1. You can let the installer sort that out.
2. You should disable "legacy boot" from your bios (UEFI) that will prevent mbr installation and Windows will (should) automatically use GPT

phenest

#45 Post by phenest »

mzimmers wrote:1. is there a bootable utility that will allow me to format both drives for GPTs?
Yes. Both the Windows and Debian installers will do that. If you have the computer setup for UEFI booting, the installers will automatically choose the appropriate partition type. Just delete any existing partitions and start fresh.

mzimmers

#46 Post by mzimmers »

Thanks for the information, guys. This is quite a learning experience, but I'm grateful for all the help. I've posted in the ASRock forum about disabling legacy boot, as I couldn't find mention of it in my owners manual nor online (specific to ASRock). I'm a little concerned that such a feature may not exist on my board (the firmware is described as "64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS" in the manual), but hopefully I'll know more soon.

Dai_trying

#47 Post by Dai_trying »

It might be something like enable CSM in your bios.

mzimmers

#48 Post by mzimmers »

Dai_trying wrote:It might be something like enable CSM in your bios.
Indeed it was. Thanks...I guess I'll try reinstalling now. I think I'll do Debian first, and then Windows. That'll make it easier for me to format the Windows drive. Back in a while...

GarryRicketson

#49 Post by GarryRicketson »

by mzimmers » I think I'll do Debian first, and then Windows. That'll make it easier for me to format the Windows drive. Back in a while...
I think you need to do some research first, I don't use windows, and never install it on my hardware. But I did do some experiments, and also based on research,
I found that one can not install windows, without destroying the other partitions,
Windows must be installed first, then the partition resized, a new one created, and
Debian, or what ever installed to the new partition.
In any event , when it comes to the MS windows, I don't know anything, except that everything works better with out it.
But what ever, good luck, do what you want.

mzimmers

#50 Post by mzimmers »

Hi, Garry -

Thanks for the post. I'm installing Windows on a separate disk, so I think I'm OK. I guess we'll see, though...