Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Natively install Debian on Android Smart TV Box

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
eisaapeittaa

Natively install Debian on Android Smart TV Box

#1 Post by eisaapeittaa »

Hi everyone! I have been searching for an answer to this question for a while, but haven't been able to find anything useful.
I've seen forums where people use apps for Android, but that's not what I'm searching for, I want to install Debian natively on my Android Smart Box, i.e. fully replacing Android with Debian.
It's a M9S-PRO, Amlogic S905 Quad-Core Cortex-A53 Android Smart Box. As I understand I need to install Debian armhf as it's a 64-bit ARM processor, but I have no idea how...

eisaapeittaa

Re: Natively install Debian on Android Smart TV Box

#3 Post by eisaapeittaa »

Thanks alot! I'll try to make it work, found some other links through the link that can be helpful in the process! I'll post an update if I make it work!

ruffwoof

Re: Natively install Debian on Android Smart TV Box

#4 Post by ruffwoof »

I use a dumb TV as my monitor and run Debian Jessie (with things like Kodi and Skype installed as part of that) as my primary boot using a old tower PC - but there are much smaller "PC's" around nowadays (Intel on a Stick type things). Might be worth considering something like that as a easier alternative.

The way I've set things up is Debian boots frugally (liveCD version of Debian Jessie) as that way if I put the PC into the DMZ so it can be accessed from anywhere its more protected (read only (all writes stored temporarily in RAM) during a session - that are lost at shutdown/reboot). But I have the option to shift that all over to HDD so it can be used more normally when not in the DMZ (I used a external HDD for that purpose).

My Internet link is asymmetric, much much faster to download that upload, so as a web server that's not good. Taken further however and that could open up possibilities for a whole world of remote control functions.