Natively install Debian on Android Smart TV Box

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Natively install Debian on Android Smart TV Box

Postby eisaapeittaa » 2017-04-09 11:22

Hi everyone! I have been searching for an answer to this question for a while, but haven't been able to find anything useful.
I've seen forums where people use apps for Android, but that's not what I'm searching for, I want to install Debian natively on my Android Smart Box, i.e. fully replacing Android with Debian.
It's a M9S-PRO, Amlogic S905 Quad-Core Cortex-A53 Android Smart Box. As I understand I need to install Debian armhf as it's a 64-bit ARM processor, but I have no idea how...
eisaapeittaa

Re: Natively install Debian on Android Smart TV Box

Postby debiman » 2017-04-09 17:32

debiman

Postby eisaapeittaa » 2017-04-16 12:07

Thanks alot! I'll try to make it work, found some other links through the link that can be helpful in the process! I'll post an update if I make it work!
eisaapeittaa

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-16 19:04

I use a dumb TV as my monitor and run Debian Jessie (with things like Kodi and Skype installed as part of that) as my primary boot using a old tower PC - but there are much smaller "PC's" around nowadays (Intel on a Stick type things). Might be worth considering something like that as a easier alternative.

The way I've set things up is Debian boots frugally (liveCD version of Debian Jessie) as that way if I put the PC into the DMZ so it can be accessed from anywhere its more protected (read only (all writes stored temporarily in RAM) during a session - that are lost at shutdown/reboot). But I have the option to shift that all over to HDD so it can be used more normally when not in the DMZ (I used a external HDD for that purpose).

My Internet link is asymmetric, much much faster to download that upload, so as a web server that's not good. Taken further however and that could open up possibilities for a whole world of remote control functions.
ruffwoof

Return to Installation