Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Error with USB bootable drive

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
nothingworks

Error with USB bootable drive

#1 Post by nothingworks »

I am having trouble with installing Debian Stretch RC3 AMD64 (netinst) on my Xubuntu Xenial laptop; I'm using a USB bootable drive on /dev/sdb as specified by this tutorial. I've used GParted to wipe the disk several times after I realised that I made a mistake when including my needed firmware in an ISO which I remade using mkisofs]; it worked the first time but now my neither the BIOS nor mount will recognise it (the latter tells me that there is no /etc/fstab entry for it).

sudo file -s /dev/sdb tells me: /dev/sdb: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'CDROM', while every time I run the specified dd command the partition table seems to be messed with.

Before you tell me to read a manual, bear in mind that my stress levels are extremely high and my ability to read is compromised. Also I have no idea why I can't make sure that the code is inline like in many sites which support markdown; it's annoying.

Dai_trying

Re: Error with USB bootable drive

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

You could start by using the debian instructions for creating a bootable memory stick, it (usually) works for me (using jessie and stretch iso's)

GarryRicketson

Re: Error with USB bootable drive

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

by nothingworks » Before you tell me to read a manual, bear in mind that my stress levels are extremely high and my ability to read is compromised.
Thank you Dai_trying , that would be a good suggestion, but the OP can not read a
manual, at least that is what it sounds like, there also are a lot of threads on this here
on the forum,..but one needs to be able to read.
Maybe some searches would turn up some "youtube videos", for people that can not read .
I do sypmathize though , I have Macular Degeneration.
This makes it very difficult to read manuals, etc,.. I use the biggest fonts I can, and strong reading glasses that helps. But without the reading glasses, I can not read even large fonts. So I do understand how this can be very frustrating.

As far as the "stress levels",... I take a couple of pills , and after a while I find nothing really matters any way, and go to sleep.

The link https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US ... tion_media
also is pretty good and should work.
If it does not, then we would need to see what the OP actually did, and maybe we can see why it did not work.
by nothingworks » Also I have no idea why I can't make sure that the code is inline like in many sites which support markdown; it's annoying.
http://forums.debian.net/faq.php?mode=bbcode
Use the "code" boxes,...there is a buttoon on the top that says "code",...or just type
them , like this

Code: Select all

[code] The code goes here , between the boxes
[/code]
Example:

Code: Select all

# dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress && sync 
---------- edited--- non Debian ---------
All though it is not related to Debian, the OP does bring up this problem with
high stress levels, and since that can lead to serious health issues, that might
take priority, any way, there are many ways to deal with "high stress" levels.
How to mange high stress levels
From: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/stre ... t-work.htm
Stress at work takes a toll on productivity, and your physical and emotional health . ... your ability to work, care for yourself, or manage your personal life, it's time to ... trans fats, and foods with high levels of chemical preservatives or hormones.
Another one says:
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/stre ... gement.htm Why is it important to learn how to manage stress?

If you’re living with high levels of stress, you’re putting your entire well-being at risk. Stress wreaks havoc on your emotional equilibrium, as well as your physical health. It narrows your ability to think clearly, function effectively, and enjoy life.
Seriously, if one deals with this first, they might be surprised, at how much easier it will be to think clearly, and work out solutions to these kind of problems.