Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

<SOLVED> Duel boot OS with two hard drives?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
charvey165

<SOLVED> Duel boot OS with two hard drives?

#1 Post by charvey165 »

I have a desktop, AMD x4 2.8 Ghz with ATI 4200 on board grafix . updateing soon with stand along vid card (havent decided yet on which) .
i have windows 10 but have a good extra hard drive and space in my tower for it. if i add a HD and format it with linux debian (latest build) how would i handle the boot process? will my OS detect the extra HD and prompt me to load one or the other on start up? check things out before i try ...hate the thought of having to change my bios each start up for each HD. ...any suggestions ?
chris
Last edited by charvey165 on 2017-04-13 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Duel boot OS with two hard drives?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I have a laptop with an SSD and an older spinning HD from a previous laptop that I put into an empty bay. GRUB 2, installed onto the SSD alongside Win 10, didn't have any problems detecting the existing Linux installations on the added spinning drive and adding them to the boot menu, so I think you're going to be fine, barring any whacky UEFI issues that may be specific to your machine.
MX Linux packager and developer

charvey165

#3 Post by charvey165 »

barring any whacky UEFI issues...
UEFI? sorry...how do i check for that and where would i find the info in windows system? ive had older versions of Debian before, loved my wheezy but had to back port alot of stuff and do work around for the ATI drivers. hopeing this new machine will stop alot of that.
EDIT: found it...its bios. will try and let ya know. thanks for the help marking post as solved. have a great day .
charvey

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

UEFI replaces the older BIOS systems on recent hardware. I was assuming your system is using it, since you mentioned Windows 10.
MX Linux packager and developer

charvey165

Re: <SOLVED> Duel boot OS with two hard drives?

#5 Post by charvey165 »

was windows 7 pc with a 10 upgrade. ill post back my results once i have my second HD formated with debian , then re hook up the windows 10 drive and run the command for grub to search for drives...am i missing anything ?